Main Character Personality Types. Likes and Dislikes

Dex-chan lover
I prefer the strong-willed and in-control type for both male and female main characters. I can't stand the winy, sobby, or perverted ones.

Dex-chan lover
Like: Anyone like Hinagiku
Dislike: Any Op isekai Mc that acts high and mighty. If you're useless in real/previous life. You not any stronger through reincarnation(to any self inserts or managaka that writes these to self insert) you're just picking on those weaker than you.

Dex-chan lover
@Teddy

I’m in agreement with you on that. Something I don’t like is usually (not always depends on the series) is when ordinary average MC getting a harem, or is weak. But suddenly becomes OP in a few chapters. I mean where’s the struggle and hardship they they must have endured so that they deserve that kind of power.

Isekai for the sake of it is somewhat pointless. If the author wanted to make a story keep it as a pure Fantasy story instead.

Dex-chan lover
Harem story main characters can sometimes have so many lovesick admirers that it breaks the suspension of disbelief. Like, ok, two or three sure, But Raku from Nisekoi had like six or seven at one time. That's just ridiculous, and it's the main reason why I often avoid those ones. Plus, the character at the center said harem needs to be like someone who could make it happen in a believable way, which is often not the case.

Dex-chan lover
I want a protag that has a strong personality and is proactive enough to move the story forwards
It would be nice if they had flaws and something to work towards
I'd like them to also be able to tease and be able to accept being teased back in return

What I don't want are blank slates, doormats, spinless perverts, rapists, shitbags, dumbasses, and indecisive fuckwads.

I like "jolly giant" type characters like the Senpai in Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi; on the flipside, I'm not the biggest fan of protagonists who spend the entirety (or majority) of the narrative reminding the audience of how pathetic and ordinary they are. The ONLY character I've ever seen pull off the, "I'm super plain and boring and don't deserve to be here" archetype was Naegi from Danganronpa.

e.g: Hideki Hinata

Dislikes: dense characters, or meddlesome ones

XXX-san is the president of this school's student council. Not only she's quite a beauty, but she always ranks first on every exam, very good at sports, and has a legion of dumb bodyguards that ward off everyone who tries to get near her for some goddamn reason.
There's not much that I've read that follows the template as is, but I'd rather have them as a side character if I ever encounter one.

Dex-chan lover
With the disclaimer that good writing can redeem any bad archetype/trait, and vice versa:

Like:
- Characters who are earnest. The type who, on top of usually speaking their mind, also encourage other characters to speak theirs.
- Characters who live by a personal code. Regardless of whether that code isn't something necessarily good, or if they eventually grow away from it, it's just a nice dynamic to see a character interact and struggle with keeping strong, personal values.
- Characters who are past their prime: old, injured or struggling to keep up with modern times.
- The "wandering swordsman/gunman" and "Inspector Marlowe" archetype.
- Characters who plow through traps, magic, special powers, special items and clever strategies through good old BRUTE STRENGTH. I think I prefer this more as a supporting character trait, though, as it often becomes an asspull if the main character keeps pulling it off.

Dislike:
- Glasses-adjusting masterminds. I don't mind these guys in a supporting or antagonist role, but I usually find them absolutely grating as main characters.
- Main character is a loveable, selfish asshole who never gets his comeuppance. I've seen this archetype pulled off well almost exclusively with Rance, and very little else.
- Main character is a proud member of some organized crime cell, like the Yakuza. This just rubs me the wrong way, and usually is linked to a whole number of cliches and plots that I really despise.
- Quirky but """"loveable"""" engineer / hacker. I believe this is already one of the worst archetypes of any traditional group dynamic. Turning them into main characters warrants an almost instant drop for me.

Users who are viewing this thread