Groups Leaving, Manga Removed

Dex-chan lover
I do have a suggestion that's easy to do, really (kinda related to this). How about when a group leaves MD and takes down chapters (you can see if they dropped them, I assume), notify us that XXXXX group has left the building. If possible, make it so we can see what manga were affected (doesn't have to have chapters dropped, just let us know what manga was affected).

This way, we'll know if one of the manga we were previously reading was affected and we can adjust accordingly. You could use the announcement tag on top (though I'd understand if you were hesitant to do this). It's minimal effort on your side (I hope) and us readers will just have to adjust. It's just hard to notice that, all of a sudden, I'm 100 chapters behind this manga because I thought it had no updates at all.

I think it's very important to be transparent and active especially during this period of uncertainty? I hope that wasn't too whiney hehe. Anyways, thanks for listening to my suggestion. :)

Dex-chan lover
Will this be updated regularly? Was this released publicly and promulgated properly?

I mean, thanks for the file. Much appreciated :) but it's only helped me. What about the other users? That's basically what I'm asking :)

Miku best girl
Admin
We will be making some changes soon to address this issue, don't worry.

@Holo
Is this conflict beyond repair? Is it maybe possible to use the same chapter format as it is build on this website but instead of uploading chapter on site it would redirect straight to the chapter on scalator website. So for example if
slow and -----
champions post chapter on their site we would have notification in our follow feed that would take us straight to the chapter and also automatically marked chapter as read here on MD. It would generate traffic on both sites and would keep
whinny
scalators groups happy-ish. I must say that MD is such a convenient tool that I am more likely to just pass on reading those manga on numerous scalator sites than abandon MD. I can't track my progress there and then reading manga becomes a chore.

@Yamibi some of those websites are trashy to read on mobile. Or their layout is fucked up. Or they force single-paged every time you open it. Why give leeway to groups acting on their own agenda? Give them good traffic? Only motive they actually left imo is because they wanted to, no other. MD wanting to go legit was just something they could easily spread misinformation about and get public's favour at the same time.

Dex-chan lover
@Yamibi I was thinking of suggesting another idea, but you idea seems more simple and direct. Honestly I'll give up reading the manga if I can't keep track of it. It doesn't help that rss is dead on modern web browsers, and when it does work via plugins the rss link just dumps the whole catalog of series, even the ones that you're not following.

Dex-chan lover
@Yamibi So a system similar to NovelUpdates? At least in the regard of Mangadex becoming somewhat of a directory?

Power Uploader
@MrTbomb52 Said system would be extremely unfair for MD as they literally have to promo groups for free. Reason: Groups always have their page + links that people can stumble upon, but if they do not wish to be promoted here, MD has no obligation to keep track of series that group is doing, which can be nuked at any time. It has been said earlier, the delay only works because groups actively chose to so they would be responsible for making sure their website link works. Having to do that for groups not on MD would be too much of a problem.

@MrTbomb52 Said system would be extremely unfair for MD as they literally have to promo groups for free. Reason: Groups always have their page + links that people can stumble upon, but if they do not wish to be promoted here, MD has no obligation to keep track of series that group is doing, which can be nuked at any time. It has been said earlier, the delay only works because groups actively chose to so they would be responsible for making sure their website link works. Having to do that for groups not on MD would be too much of a problem.

it's not like he meant that MD was the one to keep track of their website, but it can be a user(i mean the group)-based submission toward a certain link(in this case the tl group's site) so that traffic goes on both ends of the webpage as an alternative for those who doesn't want to submit their work onto mangadex

i mean there was not any obligation for groups to actually update it here so in the end it goes back to the group's policy but i guess if they are troubled with the thing about "going commercial" then this might be an alternative which actually does win-win on both side

in a way it's a lot better for MD server-wise since you don't need to store gigabytes of manga pages from peeps who didn't liked MD, and the group's page will benefit also from the traffic from MD since people also used MD as some sort of MAL and update tracker

the only downside is just the fact that the front and backend devs from this site actually needs to rework much of their sites to add this i guess

i'd suggest making separate tabs for manga uploaded in MD and manga hyperlinked to fan tl sites if mangadex ever attempted to make this change so that people don't get confused, personal opinions tho

About these lists :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XqnN06TNvRzDGPxsddv7eUYWsG8GFmxcJKe4aw-mPvA/preview
It's nice to know that I'm not disappointed to see Impatient and Shoujo Hearts -from shoujo department- left MD.
It seems they're not as generous as Raff, ok.
There are several titles that I follow such as Runway de Waratte, Senryuu, Misoshiru de Kanpai! I feel lost but raw is already out there. No need to bother.

Is this conflict beyond repair?
This drama will become part of history and extinguish itself. Just like usual. One day it will happen again like the life cycle.

Group Leader
gotta fetch bakaupdates for latest releases 🤣😂

Firefox dropped support for RSS from 64 version 😂

Thanks for the list. i'm wondering why RanChat is not in the list

Thanks Serelanordir for the listing. Good to know only really 2 maybe 3 of my reads were affected by the drama, and they were ones I was debating on dropping anyway. Many of the others I already switched to official sources or found the light novel & reading that instead. Thanks again. ^_^

Dex-chan lover
@omae_wa_mou_shindeiru
True, Firefox dropped native support for RSS, but you can still get an add-on to do it. I use Livemarks, but there are a decent number to choose from.

Group Leader
I can't believe people were freaking out, heralding this as the end of Mangadex? It's barely a scratch, and one that will mosy certainly be lost to time and forgotten about.

Fed-Kun's army
Lolololol. Everyone said I was an asshole for thinking the MD shouldn't kowtow to crybaby scanlators. They told me that scanlators "are first" and that it is best for the "community". How's that working out? All I see people is pissed off people and less manga.

I heard the scanlators were potentially pissed because MD was going to become like Fakku? How is that bad? Fakku has free scanlated content, but they also have non-free content which I assume they have paid money to legally license and distribute. How dare they. Acquire the rights to something, legitimately publish it and then ask people for money? To think of all those greedy authors potentially earning royalties. It makes me sick.

I don't really know what all the drama is about, but it is pretty clear putting "scanlators first" was a stupid idea. Now not all scanlators are bad, but it is pretty clear that we've got a number of scanlators who are only interested in themselves. They don't give a fuck about manga (otherwise why would you continue to scanlate a series that has been licensed in English thus taking away sales from the author, the people who actually bothered to legally acquire the rights to translate and distribute it) they don't give a fuck about readers (otherwise why would they make it so difficult for them to read it). Therefore it is pretty safe to say they only care about themselves.

Dex-chan lover
Dang, how about just trying to work together?

Let groups have a link to their website/patreon/whatever right on the sidebar for every chapter they've done.

And don't let the groups that signed that stupid petition back for being such whining babies.

Group Leader
LMAO I still don't get why scanlators are pissed at MD except for losing ads revenue.
Like please, they say they're scanlating from fans and for fans... Now it turned into "I'm scanlating, so you need to feed me money else I'll cease to function" and that's stupid imo, face it, most readers are pirates.
Their arguments are off too, like even in religion etc you HAVE to present the whole context when conveying things to believers but they cut up Holo's chats and put them all out of context in a single photoshopped picture.
For now I'm using Feedly for getting updates via RSS, and it isn't bad. Got google chrome extension too.
Also used Tampermonkey+Manga Loader to load their chapters in single longview page.

Dex-chan lover
@Holo Good to know; I've been worrying for some time about groups leaving sans fuss* without me noticing and me unknowingly falling behind on series, or something. Should be interesting, though; I wonder what implementation you'll end up using...

* Yeah, I know: "A scanslation group flouncing off without shouting it from the rooftops?!" If only, right?

Users who are viewing this thread