Taisho Maiden Fairytale - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
I know that certain currencies were worth much more back then, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something here.

When you look at the Sears house kit (a house you could literally order from a catalog and have built) in 1913 it was worth around $800, which is more than $17,000 in current USD.

So for fabric in 1922 to cost as much as a house would in the same time period (although Sears houses were considered "cheap")...hmmm...

I'm guessing TL already adjusted for inflation then, so the cloth is worth $800...ifyou could make four kimono out of it that's be 200 a piece. That sounds about right considering how it's seen as a dress for them.

Dex-chan lover
@knight_evangel The story's set in the early 1920s, this chapter was only noting Tokyo Station was built in 1914. Also keep in mind that kimonos are made of silk, and high-quality silk is still very expensive. $500 USD in 1920 gives us $6400 in 2020 dollars, which doesn't sound outrageous for enough high-quality silk for two kimonos during that time period.

Dex-chan lover
@manabi I guess like you said my years were just off by a few as I mistook the year.

A quick google of "designer wedding dresses" shows me the thousands of dollars actually happens for what'd be considered a 'gown' of any kind (though the price can certainly vary)....so I think my original basis for doubts wasn't as thorough as I had assumed. The 17000 would still be a ripoff certainly, but not out of the question entirely so long as it was sown already. The 6400 sounds more reasonable, what's unreasonable is that he purchased silk. Now I get her reaction. xD

Dex-chan lover
@knight_evangel I searched a bit before replying the first time, and apparently silk was still the norm in the 1920s, but only the rich would be buying the really high-quality silk. She's freaking out because he bought such high-quality (and expensive) silk basically.

Me a girl that thought she is straight but now thinking where to buy another girl like that to be her wife.

Dex-chan lover
It's like the 5th time I read this manga and heals me like the first time

Users who are viewing this thread