Manga Names :rejected:

VIP
Have all manga names be in romanji instead of english and have the english names as alt?

Yes, please, waiting for an official decision on an order of preference for names in the primary name field.
And after deciding, please put it in the rules page for reference!

VIP
The naming does seem somewhat inconsistent ?

One possible issue with making everything romanji is that it may impede manga discovery. For example, the name "A Story About Treating a Female Knight Who Has Never Been Treated as a Woman" might draw in some readers because it's an interesting title, but something like "Ima made ichido mo onna atsukaisareta koto ga nai onnakishi wo onna atsukai suru manga" is completely opaque to someone who doesn't know Japanese well.

On the other hand, titles that are translated too much may not sound great either. For example, I prefer "Mousou Telepathy" over "Delusion Telepathy", and "Nichijou" over "My Ordinary Life".

As a point of reference, the English Wikipedia has a policy of using the most commonly used name. But of course, that's not as applicable if there are multiple languages involved, since it may vary depending on the language. If this site is aiming to be as i18n-friendly as possible, then there would need to be a way to mark which alt-name is the most common for each language/locale, which sounds sorta complex.

I guess one advantage of romanji-only policy is that it would avoid being biased towards favouring English users, since it's sticking to the source language.

I'm fine with pretty much any solution though, as long as it's not the ad-hoc verbose tags that AO3 uses (e.g. "となりの関くん | Tonari no Seki-kun | My Neighbor Seki").

VIP
then romanji for short titles for series with titles easy to remember and english for long titled series that no one will remember the romanji name for it

Users who are viewing this thread