Reviews :planned:

Group Leader
We already have ratings for manga, but I think a review system would also be interesting to have to help explain the average rating for the series. It could be added to another tab with Chapters and Comments, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement. Just make it a separate comment section with the user's star rating for that series attached somewhere to the post, and then limit it so that each individual account can only post one review for each series.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Personally, I think that a review system is redundant. Between the comment system and the ratings system, users should have a pretty good idea of how a particular series has been received by readers.

I'll mark it as Maybe for now so @Holo can review it.

Contributor
This seems like an unnecessary feature. I just wish this site to not grow into something that deviates from its original purpose and end up not being able to do a few things well but many so-so.

MD@Home
For reviews, it would be good to have separate threads intended for longer posts

Dex-chan lover
think about it like this, maybe this way people wont leave massive review comments that trigger people trying to make normal comments, they can just barf out their anger at series in the review tab xD

Group Leader
If reviews are coming, then people should be able to rate the reviews themselves too with thumbs up/down or stars, because some reviews are just nonsense. I've even once seen a novel review attacking the author's personal life with little to do with the review itself.

But I would personally rather have a discrete suggestions tab on the manga webpages for similar titles that shares similar themes...kinda like users can recommend other series on MangaUpdates, Novel Updates, and MAL.

VIP
I agree that if reviews are coming, the reviews should be able to be voted on. This seems to work fairly well for MAL reviews, which lets you mark reviews as "helpful". I think this makes the top 4 reviews for a work on MAL fairly representative of the full range of opinions on the work.

As YouTube found out years ago when they made the transition from the 5 stars rating system to the like-dislike rating system, people tend to only make a review if they really liked it or really hated it. So personally, I find the distribution of the review scores on MAL to be more informative than the score distribution histogram because the selection bias filters out the people who don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, and really brings out the emphasis on the strengths and weaknesses of the work.

For example, if the top four reviews have something like a 10-9-9-8 split, it's probably very good! If there are no or only one or two fairly non-extreme reviews, it is probably not particularly good nor particularly bad. If it's something like a 10-3-9-10 split, then it's probably pretty good for most of the audience, but a pretty significant portion of the audience had some serious issues with the work, so YMMV. If it's something like a 4-10-6-9 split, then it's a pretty split fanbase. If it's something like a 4-3-9-8 split, then more than half of the audience have some serious problems with it, but a smaller subset of the audience really love it. If it's something like 10-10-1-1, then it's probably either Mars of Destruction or Boku no Pico ?

Just some of my thoughts.

Group Leader
I think a review section is needed as well. The comment section is completely underwhelming when you want to know the general opinion of the manga you are looking at and not how someones day was.

You could initiate it by adding your star, to which a drop down box for typing a review would go, or skipping/ignoring if all you wanted was to add stars. It would be similar to other platforms with reviews.
edit: essentially the box for typing your review only appears the moment you choose a star rating.

Features I'd like to see in it are:
[ul]Star number next to each review
Last chapter read of reviewer upon making that review
Date of review
Helpful/not helpful vote (with counter)
Filters for recent, helpful, star number, and language
hide unhelpful reviews upon reaching a threshold of "not helpful" marks (unhide optional)
Comment on reviews. Similar to steam reviews where it's a different page and doesn't clutter review page[/ul]

edit:
added Language filter to list. If possible, it would be nice to see the language of reviews you're able to read.

Miku best girl
Admin
The Easter break is coming up, I will try and devote some time for implementing reviews.

For people who like to talk at length like me, the suggestion from GrimGriefer is very much supported!
I feel uncomfortable because it's like eating space, although most sometimes talk about just a few scenes/chapters.

Fed-Kun's army
Ratings are borderline useless and I would definitely post reviews describing the pluses and minuses of things I've read. There are too many "gotcha!" mangas out there.

any ideas for how review scores would affect the overall rating for a series? or maybe it won't at all. i was thinking when you rate something 1/2/3/4/5 stars, a popup or maybe an option becomes available to explain your rating in the form of a review. so your review and rating can become the same thing. if you ever modify your rating, you could be prompted to modify your current review as well. this also brings to mind the possibility of reviewing individual chapters, seems to become complicated, and also whether or not you can comment on reviews...

Users who are viewing this thread