Manga author page :planned:

Fed-Kun's army
How about creating a separate database table for manga authors? As far as I can tell your current implementation has them just as a string column in the manga table, as you can browse their works only by doing a search. So this leads to situations where you want to find all manga by 'ONE' but instead get a search result for something like "SELECT * FROM manga WHERE author LIKE '%ONE%'" and end up with mostly incorrect results.

Of course this would lead to extra work as you'd need to merge data where author has been typoed or exists under multiple pseudonyms.

Contributor
This could be fixed by just adding the option to search on the database those that only has the exact name.

Fed-Kun's army
True, but then there would be no way to attach any additional information to author. I feel that authors should be uniquely identifiable so that various data can be related to them, but that's my background in web and database design speaking.

Contributor
I believe that would add unimportant information for this site. And that kind of info you can easily get from the external links for MAL, mangaupdates etc.

VIP
Related discussions:
[ul]
[*] #5101/39802: Ability to follow authors and artists
[*] #5933: Exact searches for author names / revamp of system for authors and artists
[*] #6568: Alt names for authors
[*] #7402: Refine Author searches
[*] #12929: To be able to follow a mangaka/author
[*] #14718: Separate IDs for authors and artists
[*] #15151: The problem with author search
[/ul]
[2018-07-01] Edit: Added some more items to the list.

Miku best girl
Admin
It's in the plans. I plan to do something like https://mangadex.org/author/1

Fed-Kun's army
I believe that would add unimportant information for this site. And that kind of info you can easily get from the external links for MAL, mangaupdates etc.
A matter of opinion I suppose, but even going that way, unique author id would allow for attaching a MAL/mangaupdates etc link to author, which is currently not possible. Same for the request for author/artist follow feature, can't be done without a database entry.

Group Leader
follow author / artist would be a great addition, even moreso if it provides the ability to search for a specific author/artist instead of "names that include this string" as a side effect.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Marked planned as per Holo.

Users who are viewing this thread