Medaka Box

Power Uploader
I feel like this manga is genius in some ways and some characters are excellent, but in others is a kind of disappointment.

Thanks for the good stuff though. Kumagawa is one of the best ever fictional characters.

The premise is good, the story is well-rounded, and it has an ending everyone can be content with. There's at least ONE arc that feels unnecessary / like a let down / badly written, but that may differ for other readers. All the characters feel genuine and uniquely-written. I personally wish we would have seen more of Yunomae though.

Would recommend. Personally am sad it ended but all good things come to an end.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks NisiOisiN for being eccentric as usual.
Thanks Akatsuki Akira for great drawings.
Thanks CXC Scans for scanlating this.
Why do I have to read romcom in the middle of a powerlevel action manga? Wild/10 would read again.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is seriously underappreciated. The surreal spiral into madness from a relatively sane beginning is such a wild ride that I can't help but enjoy any given turn, plus it's got those heartwarming nuggets of true friendship throughout.

Aggregator gang
Got to say, they built up a Mary Sue and makes a Story about her in a clever way to avoid it being too bored. They gave enough room to cover every single main characters while exploring all the questions. Got to say it end in a fashion as it was going. If i have to compare this to Bleach, only the first half of Bleach is as good as Medaka Box the last half went downhill pretty terrible.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, despite the fact that it feels like this series lost where it was going halfway through - and decided to go batshit insane-, and that many of the powers/skills didn't translate to english very easily, I still love the crap out of this manga. It was a ride from start to finish.

This is the kind of ending that makes me wish more mangas/animes... Ended. I almost called it quits midway through, yaknow 'stop while it's good', but I'm glad I stuck around for that ending.

Dropped after reading a few of the early chapters, because it felt so generic. But ended up picking it up again because of a certain page, and I'm so damn glad I did. One of the best in its genre. As expected from the author, I guess.

Double-page supporter
If you've watched the monogatari series before and liked it, then this manga is 100% going to be a good choice to read
9/10, Great likable characters, Great story progress & World-building, and has a great set of waifus & husbandos
You'd be surprised by how relatable the characters are (If you eventually read all the boxes) and how fun it is to read it

This manga is my guilty pleasure. I don't think its that great or smart in any way, but it just feels s good to read. a 7/10 at best in my opinion, but if you're into the type of manga this is... You're gonna get hooked. The last arc kinda sucked tho.

A bit of a rough mess, Medaka Box reminds me of playing a video game directed by Yoko Taro. It's kind of an insane mess and sometimes is... not very good, but in the same breath has the ability to give the audience something totally unexpected and amazing, that they didn't even know they could have. It's hard to explain without spoiling it, but I can say that for the most part its one hell of a ride. I still feel pretty confused because I want to believe that NisiOisiN was writing pretty intelligently with actual themes in mind (sort of like how Fire Punch went about doing things, for a reference point), but at other times it's like he's not even trying at all.

I feel like NisiOisiN was trying to write a meta commentary on shounen powerleveling anime, but he got lost along the way. I think that with some trimming of the fat and a rewrite to bring everything a bit closer together, this could be a genuine 10/10, but that probably won't happen since this manga wrapped up three years ago.

tl;dr: the highs are very high, but this manga has it's fair share of lows as well.

Fed-Kun's army
some arcs were really weird, but the ending was great if you enjoyed the manga, other jump serializations shpuld take anot from this one

Aggregator gang
This series is great up until the halfway mark.
Then it just fumbles the ball so hard it leaves a crater in the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread