Fullscreen Reader and link back to Homepage

I'd like to make some quality of life suggestions for the Mangadex reader.

I'd like to suggest a fullscreen mode.
Currently I'm making do by setting my browser to fullscreen, but especially the mobile version is lacking proper full-screen support.
Should be fairly easy to implement for most modern browsers using the fullscreen API too. There even is a sadly outdated userscript which I might update at a later time.

I don't know if these features were implemented when I made this post, but you can basically hide every non-page element (not only the sidebar but the header, and the page bar) which covers the site itself, but if you want to hide browser elements such as open tabs and the toolbar you'd still have to enter faux Fullscreen mode.
I still think an implementation of the Fullscreen API would be useful as it prevents such browser elements from popping back into view when hovering over edges of the screen.

Secondly I'd suggest some link to the homepage in the reader. As it is you have to go to the /title page or manually edit the url to go back. Doesn't need to be more complicated a simple ▲ link from the controls panel, maybe before the manga title.

The process of reaching the home page from inside the Reader is made easier through the ^m keyboard shortcut, and the need to get their is somewhat alleviated by enabling the recommendations feature. An additional shortcut (^h ?) to reach the home page from within the reader itself.

Wrote up a a very rough proof of concept of the fullscreen implementation for anyone interested. Fire it up in Scratchpad or Web Console on any chapter page to try it out.

Because it's very bare bones it's currently not really a workable solution, even as a userscript. Vertical scrolling with the keys currently does not work and I don't have a lot of time to go through as to why this is.

Dex-chan lover
This post confuses me. Are you quoting yourself? To get back to the homepage from anywhere on the site, click the cat.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I did have a go at implementing a fullscreen mode way back when but I ran into problems with I think browser interoperability, and fit modes and scrolling specifically if I remember correctly. It didn't seem worth the effort to fight with when you can just press F11 to hide the browser toolbar and get practically the same effect.

UI improvements and ways to easily exit the reader wherever you want (when the header is hidden and so on) would be nice, but I'll probably improve on that by some other methods. Duly noted though, I'll see what we'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread