Mark all as read :planned:

Could we get a mark all as read button? Possibly even make it a toggle so that it could mark all as read or unread?

Since a lot of series were ported from batoto, the only way to get them all marked as read is to manually go through and look at the first page of each chapter. This take a a lot of time and unneeded bandwidth.

But will setting it as completed prevent it from showing up in your follows list if a new chapter comes out? Or does it automatically switch it back to reading when that happens?

Power Uploader
This was marked as implemented but i believe that is incorrect and that something like this is more in line with what Atrusnex suggested as not all imported follows are necessarily completed and moving it removes it from latest updates default view.

mJaR9QM.png

I also like to read a couple of chapters before I decide to follow something or not, and if I do follow it I now have to open all chapters again just to mark them as read which is just an unnecessary waste of time and bandwidth. We don't have to go back to tracking unfollowed chapters, just something for follows is enough.
Also please change this to either rejected or planned @Zephyrus

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Per Holo, changing to Planned.

@Atrusnex ya i've realized that setting a series to completed doesn't work. whenever a new chapter is updated, it automatically counts that one as read as well and never shows up in your follows list.

so maybe it's possible to use the "completed" tag to mark everything as read, but then when a new chapter is added, the status of that series changes to "reading" and the new chapter isn't automatically considered read. i think this option combined with Potato's suggestions is the ideal solution, but idk how hard that would be to implement

Just another person who would like this feature. Something along the lines of a "mark all as read" option would be very handy.

?

I'm also in favour of this feature and want to add that changing the read/undread status based on the follows-type is really counterintuitive.
E.g. I set a series to 'plan to read' and later begin to read only to see that all my read chapters are not marked as 'read' because i should have set the status to 'reading' previously which is completely non-obvious (and undocumented, no tooltip or something similar).
If I want to set all of these to read I can't even set it to 'completed 'and then to 'reading' because 'reading' apparently sets all chapters to unread again.

I want to suggest to make these two (afaict orthogonal) features (read/unread of chapters and follows-type) independent of each other to avoid confusion and get more expressiveness ,e.g. 'I want to reread after I read to a certain chapter a few years ago' can not really be expressed in the follows types alone.

But thank you for seriously listening to these suggestions in the first place!

Dex-chan lover
This is my first time posting here, and I want to say this first: It's super cool that you guys take suggestions and feedback the way that you do. I submitted suggestions to MangaHere (I'm only there for the Tsukkomis at this point) a couple of times, and not only were they never implemented, but I had no way of knowing whether or not they were even seen. This thing you've got going on here is way better.

Anyway, I should probably get to my actual contribution to this suggestion thread. I think it'd be neat if there were a way to toggle Read/Unread on individual chapters in the Manga page. That way a user could go through and check off all of the chapters they've Read without having to mark all of them as Read.
Maybe this could be done by tweaking the functionality used to mark a chapter Unread when clicking on the eye symbol next to it?

I suggest this because the way I personally do things is I read a manga if it looks interesting, and if I like it I keep reading until I'm through all the chapters (unless it's exceptionally long). Only after I've read through what's available do I mark it as Reading (or, on other sites, Bookmark it). I figure that, if I do it that way, then there are probably some other users who behave similarly.

While being able to mark all as Read would be nice, sometimes I move on immediately after Following a manga, and don't return until something has updated. At that point, marking all as read would also mark the chapters I haven't read.

I'm realizing now as I type this that I could just mark them all as Read, and then remove the mark from the most recent chapters, so my point may very well be moot. I still think it'd be a nice feature to have though.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Edit: Oh shit. After reading mixpe's post, I'm realizing that they have some really good points, too. I'd like to voice my support of those ideas as well.

I would actually like a mark all older than the newest read option. I am in the process of updating my account from other sites and I usually mark the last one I read because it would be a hassle to mark each older chapter. It would probably be easy to implement too, just start from newest, keep going down until a read is noted, then keep going down while marking each item read.

I would also like to see this happen.

I've been trying to get the Dr. Stone chapters to be considered "read", but because I read it on Viz I would have to go through every chapter.

Updated to mark previous pages too. Not sure if there's any way to get the chapters ids without looking at the pages, it's ugly but it should be fine while waiting for the site to be updated.

As a workaround, you can navigate to a series' page and enter $(".fa-eye-slash").click() into the browser console to mark all visible chapters on the page as read.

Advice from: https://www.reddit.com/r/mangadex/comments/c5jnbb/mark_chapters_as_read_in_bulk/

Users who are viewing this thread