Kao ni denai Kashiwada-san to Kao ni deru Ota-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Tabuchi-san's Secret

Fed-Kun's army
Oh, great. Another over-the-top stereotypical man hating lesbian character has been introduced in the manga. What a treat. I sure hope she appears in more chapters and continues to unjustly berate the male lead for no reason other than her creepy obsession over the female lead all the while the author tries to convince the reader that she's supposed to be a likable character and not an overused trope that annoys readers that portrays gay women as insane misandrists.

Bonus points if later in the story, she falls for the male lead or one of his guy friends.

Contributor
@LazumaLee94 at the beginning, I thought she was actually right, then I understood she was one of those*. I've been reading these kind of mangas and understood that the authors add these kind of characters just to not add a rival, sadly they can't think of any other way to make readers not lose interest besides putting obstacles to the main characters relationship.

Group Leader
@KazumaLee94
...unjustly berate the male lead for no reason other than her creepy obsession..

I do take exception to this: like she said, the douchebag is bullying Kashiwada-san no matter how you look at it. Does anyone really enjoy watching him being an asshole? Do anyone really forgive him because he secretly likes her?

I initially rated this a "2" but, because the jerk just doesn't stop, I dropped it down to a "1". I'd give it a "0" if I could. Five chapters in and I just can't read any more of this drivel.

Fed-Kun's army
@jokerxhisoka Exactly. And what's worse I feel that lately authors make these "obstacle characters" girls who like the female lead since, in the minds of the mangaka, readers would fantasize over the yuri fanservice sympathize with said character's plight more compared to a guy doing the same thing.

How else would you explain how readers of Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet are more kind towards Chartreux than they are towards Scott, despite both of them fulfilling the same role of "person who get's in the way of the main couple due to their 'love' for the female lead"?

No matter the gender or sexuality, characters that only exist to interfere with the progress of the main couple are rarely if ever a good thing for any romance manga.

@FredFriendly I guess I was wrong with saying "unjust". It's more along the lines of serving her own interests since the girl is only calling Oota out because it involves Kashiwada, who it appears she has a crush on. If Oota was doing this to another person, she more than likely wouldn't react so strongly. Plus she's sort of bullying Oota herself which is hypocritical of her if she takes issue with him bullying Kashiwada.

Group Leader
@KazumaLee94 It sounds like you're forgiving the jerk for bullying Kashiwada-san and berating the class rep (or whatever she was) for bullying the jerk and that she should just let the jerk do what he wants because she's a lesbian interloper. My mind boggles.

I do, however, agree with your assessment of the trend of mangakas to create "obstacle characters" of girls who fancy the female lead, pandering to what they perceive as otaku lust for girl-on-girl action, regardless of what demographic or genres the series happens to fall under.

Fed-Kun's army
@FredFriendly I am not saying the guy is innocent or that he that he should be forgiven. My comment was only in regard to Tabuchi and how her actions are based not in a sense of morality, but rather her crush on Kashiwada as well as my frustration in regards to obstacle characters in rom-com manga, straight or gay. Trust me I agree with you that Oota is a jerk and more frustrating than most dense main characters in manga, and that's saying something.

Group Leader
@KazumaLee94 Thanks for the clarification. I won't be reading this any further, but I'll probably read the comments once in a while just for fun.

Group Leader
@kuma Yeah. It's real funny to see a douchebag constantly towering over a timid girl and angrily yelling at her at the top of her lungs. Yeah. Great fun. A barrel of laughs.

VIP
@FredFriendly it's called slapstick. come on, why you oversensitive. the story is not supposed to taken seriously. did it hit too close to home? why it triggered you?

Group Leader
@kuma If it made laugh at least once in any of the 5 chapters, then maybe I'd consider it atrociously horrible slapstick. But I found nothing funny at all. If you saw this happening in your own classroom would you a. whoop and holler with glee and urge the douchebag to ride her ass even more or b. take part in the bullying yourself? I can guess what you'd do.

I would not doubt that this sort of series encourages a certain type of kid (both boys and girls) to start or continue to bully other kids, particularly in Japan when bullying is vicious and traumatic and typically ignored by the teachers. That is no laughing matter.

VIP
@FredFriendly the whole clash know that he is just that kind of mischievous guy. and soo far, nothing he doing is made her physically harmed, and he actively help her out when necessary. she also understand that, even fall in love with that side of him. we all have those kind of slightly dick-ish loud friends (if you do have friends in school). he has no ill intent soo far. people get in fact know his antics, tolerate and understand him. he even the one frequently teased by people around him because his tendency. again, did it hit your nerve that much? are you triggered?

Dex-chan lover
for me i think he is actually more helping? than bullying even if it is bullying... by the looks of it him being so stubborn at trying to make the girl express some facial expression actually made the girl less lonely than she would be and like what kuma said he has not really done any harm to her physically and the girl is beating him in his own game herself... the part about being less lonely is uhh idk cause they havent shown the girl interacting with anyone else other than the mc but the girl 100% had some fun with him doing what he is doing...

Aggregator gang
@Shamz that's how the author wanted to portray it at least, the dude's trying his own thing and she's enjoying the company with a maiden's heart
it's a win-win situation isn't it :V and you get to enjoy their struggle

Dex-chan lover
I understand sympathy is a thing but remember this is fictional comedy.
There are lots of things here that I'd generally find unacceptable irl
constant bullying/harassment, always shouting at her, replacing drink with vinegar, stalking, making her wet (wait a minute I meant this), unknowingly(?) making her drown, among other things.
BUT everything was intently portrayed to be comedic and exaggerated.

As for Kashiwada-san's feelings, it's quite safe to say she's OK with Oota's company. She gets to be beside him and see his funny reactions.

Why is it "emotionless" in the last few pages (the character files) rather than expressionless? There's a huge different.

Users who are viewing this thread