Publication status: discontinued/canceled/hiatus :implemented:

Contributor
There are quite a lot of manga (especially webtoons) that are discontinued or canceled by the publishers or the authors themselves. So we need a discontinued/canceled option for the publication status. And maybe hiatus too.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
There is an ongoing discussion on how to tag manga that might be finished in their home country but aren't done being translated by scanlators.

There are numerous scenarios where this becomes very confusing. This might be an upcoming feature when we revamp the manga page, but not to my knowledge.

Contributor
Lol I thought this was locked so I sent you a PM. My bad. Anyway, this is what I sent you on PM.

I think you misunderstand what I meant. This has nothing to do with the scanlation status. You see, webtoons are posted online. Sometimes they get discontinued suddenly, either by the publishers/websites or the author themselves. So we never get to see the ending. Kind of like when tv shows get canceled by the station. The story obviously hasn't ended, but they're not airing anymore.

I stumbled upon a discontinued webtoon yesterday. I was editing the info and I thought it wasn't right to mark it as completed when it actually got discontinued. That's why I suggest to add more options to the publication status.

Mangaupdates also has these options (see: https://imgur.com/a/C3XrbMl and https://imgur.com/a/LZHWZP7
I've seen some manga marked as "hiatus" too there but I can't find an example right now.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Lol I thought this was locked so I sent you a PM. My bad. Anyway, this is what I sent you on PM.

I think you misunderstand what I meant. This has nothing to do with the scanlation status. You see, webtoons are posted online. Sometimes they get discontinued suddenly, either by the publishers/websites or the author themselves. So we never get to see the ending. Kind of like when tv shows get canceled by the station. The story obviously hasn't ended, but they're not airing anymore.

I stumbled upon a discontinued webtoon yesterday. I was editing the info and I thought it wasn't right to mark it as completed when it actually got discontinued. That's why I suggest to add more options to the publication status.

Mangaupdates also has these options (see:https://imgur.com/a/C3XrbMlandhttps://imgur.com/a/LZHWZP7
I've seen some manga marked as "hiatus" too there but I can't find an example right now.

No problem! My bad for misunderstanding you. This seems like a reasonable suggestion. I'll bring it up with Holo and see how he feels about it. At the moment, I'll keep this on Maybe until I get further clarification.

Contributor
Cancelled seems like a really weird thing to have, where does this leave manga that were cancelled like Hungry Marie for instance? By all intents they have endings, but they were still cancelled. I get the purpose of it, just asking for some clarity from staff since it was added really suddenly.

is a Reindeer
VIP
If publication finished with an ending chapter, it's completed.
If it's axed without the author being able to publish a concluding chapter, it's canceled. This usually only applies to stories that are serialized.
Hiatus means the author may come back to a series. This mostly applies to self-published works.

Fed-Kun's army
Hiatus means the author may come back to a series. This mostly applies to self-published works.

And HunterXHunter, and Berserk, and Vagabond, and D.gray man, and Terraformars, and Bastard!!, and Glass Mask, and Nana, and...

Too bad there is no sad smileys in this forum...

Power Uploader
For scanlation, just a "complete/not complete". Because anything more would grow out dated quickly.

Group Leader
Agree with need of scanlation status - even the simplest binary one (just like @waterflame suggested) or possibly with more options (like Dead and others). But any type of scanlation status is really necessary.
(I've been hurt too many times by mangas that seemed to be Complete, but turned to be still in translation)

Group Leader
rather than complete/not complete for scanlation status, just have a data entry point for the total number of chapters if publication status == complete, then have it auto-mark the final chapter as [END] or have some other indication whether or not the full series is scanlated or not in the user's default language.

The OP's request has been implemented. Cancelled and Hiatus statuses are available.

Users who are viewing this thread