Onideka! - Vol. 7 Ch. 30 - The World, Is Now Walking With Kiryuuin-san!!

Dex-chan lover
It would have been a good ending if that last page wasn't there

I love all the goofy scifi here, like old tokusatsu movies or Ultraman episodes.

Dex-chan lover
"We picked most emotionally unstable people we could find and made them compete in battle royale with nuclear grade powers. Enjoy."

Dex-chan lover
We’ll finally get to see just how bad this trainwreck of an ending was. It was such a nice premise but now it’s all cluttered in “hearthrobs”.

Fed-Kun's army
So I just found and marathon this manga today, so ... what the fuck is going on?

Fed-Kun's army
@Tcof Well that's because the plots jumping all over the place, the focus isn't clear, the story foundation is so weak that it crumble in the middle and just sort of play along with whatever it is thrown into, the character's personality is so inconsistent and shallow that readers having hard time to figure out who is who and why they're there, and many more that justify the complains. Except the actions and art of course, they're decent enough especially if the readers have giant fetish. They'll love it so much.

Dex-chan lover
@bramhistory
" ...just sort of play along with whatever it is thrown into"
Japanese sent her to beat up other giant. It still up to this chapter. In other hand, romance with the childhoodfriend still the old don't gt their own feeling. It may not the best work out there, i don't see why it so bad. Can you more specific.

the character's personality is so inconsistent and shallow that readers having hard time to figure out who is who and why they're there
Uhm,... can i have some example

Fed-Kun's army
@Tcof
"Japanese sent her to beat up other giant. "
That's exactly what I'm talking about, from the first it's an alien, then alien vs monster, then an irregular alien vs chaos alien, then the irregular turns black, then peace conference, then revolution, then everywhere there's giants, then uniting the world etc etc long list. If it's hard to understand let's take a look at first monster, she's shaped as a monster why is that? What happen to the monster girl except sitting buck naked and mutter about the light in the end? No explanation just carry on and go to akihabara, same cycle happen after Hanao defeat other girls.

Each one of those isn't backed by strong back story and isn't really solved and just left hanging for more questions while the girls just adding more wreckage everywhere. That's why I said the author just put everything they like and play along with it without seriously thinking the impact on the entire plot.

Inconsistent because they're so easy to change in a short time. Hanao's personality in the beginning is clearly tsundere, she's harsh to Takezou but actually like and care about him even blushing when there's a hint she will be confessed so she's more or less acknowledge her feelings, a good classic tsundere traits but then she genuinely confused when cosmos point that her heart throb is to Takezou. Like, what the hell are you confused for after all those? Then suddenly one page "I love Takezou", lol wut?? Takezou also can't shown as a good strong protector for Hanao and care deeply for her but can't decide if he care of her or not in the end.

Both of them is better though, the worst is the reporters and minor characters. For example the reporters motive at the start is good but in the end it's not clear, we didn't even know what kind of deal he made with the doctor or why he did that and what its impact to him except standing on the side of the doctor like all ordinary people in the background. I wonder why they still appear in the end. There's also Hanao's parents and sudden built up of Takezou and Takayama (or Nakahara?) and even photo of them taken. I don't know how the story will use it but it's only one volume left so I don't have a good faith it will be a good plot device.

We may have different views on this manga, but for me I can't shake this feelings of the author just want to show giant girls fighting another giant girls and wreck over the city, things I saw a lot in doujins. In other words, a fetish. Nothing wrong with fetish as a motive to wrote a story but when it's dominated the story then they can't avoid the story to became weak like this. Still enjoyable though.

Dex-chan lover
@ bramhistory Your point isn't sound wrong. But your exception kinda too much. You expect some very solid and rich story for all that one time character ? Well, Its not often what you get, rarely actually. And this is bearable from the mangas i saw, it still keep my interest enough to see the end. Dunno, you just lucky always met the great work or something ? share me some name.

So back to this manga. I see it by more simple view, just like "monster of the week" episode. These girl have some idea, corrupted, by the work of ailain. Get beaten, wake up.

Also i don't think they are inconsistent. This is kid love. They still don't understand these new feeling, especially the childhood friend one where they always together since kid. I see a lot of this trope. It always very obviously and deep down they know it, but they just don't know it. See, it very simple. Over all, I do get annoy about Takezo drag too long. But Hanao part is fine tbh.
And the parent part, it just show more of they are childhood friend, their family really get a long kind of thing.

Fed-Kun's army
@Tcof
One thing I want to confirm is I'm not hate this manga and it's not the worst that I ever read. Onideka pretty enjoyable for me but since you ask why people complaining so I tried to give some points where people think it's lack. Yeah I agree, this is just a simple "monster of the week" episode, so that's why it's not really strong in concept, characters and plots but it's still enjoyable.

Not really expect a solid but at least reasonable story for them, many other mangas have minor one time characters that perform better and not neglected than those in Onideka. And the one I mention in Onideka isn't really one time characters since they're appearing here and there playing role in the story until the end of the manga. The inconsistency is from the author actually, they made too much switch of character's personality that it changed in mere pages and they had eight volumes to do something with it yet they don't.

I'm not always met a great works and our taste may different, but if you want some recommendation of good characters and plot I may suggest "Dungeon Meshi" and "Vinland Saga". Both of them is similar to Onideka in terms of lots of one time and minor characters yet they handle them well, the main characters and the main plot is also solid but I may warn you Vinland Saga is bloody violence while Dungeon Meshi is pretty tamed and comedy gold. Both of them is Seinen.

Another I highly scored in characters and story is "Bokura no Kiseki" but the lack of updates and the never ending circle of mystery may frustrate some people so I don't really recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread