Choose primary language of manga title :planned:

There are lots of alt names for each manga, mostly for different languages. It would be really handy to be able to tag those alt names as a language, and have a default language for display purposes.

Power Uploader
So manga titles should be in english by default, and change according to display language settings?

I think something like that makes more sense than the current setup which I assume is first come, first served. I'm seeing a lot of romaji titles which isn't even a language, so it's quite difficult to know at a clance what I am clicking on.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
This will come when we update the manga page, when multiple languages will be supported.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
A proper system for titles and display preferences for them has been suggested long ago: Native title, Romanization, Official translations, Fan translations, Abbreviations, Etc. The goal would be that you'd be able to set the order of preference and the titles would be displayed based on that order. It's just been stuck in the limbo of the static nature of the site as a whole and the related performance problems. In the meantime it's been encouraged to use romaji as the main title since it's the closest thing to being language neutral and legible to most users.

Fed-Kun's army
I was gonna suggest this also. Maybe letting readers give them nicknames? Add a checklist in the alt names section for preferred name?

Like Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita means nothing to me but has a huge list of alt names, the "official" Engrish name is dumb and I'm used to just calling it Sword Dad.

Keeping track of titles can be tough when your follows are full of romanji gibberish.

Everything's fine. Just one small suggestion. When implementing this, there should also be "Romaji/Japanese (transcription)" option just like Anidb in the languages section since many will prefer that.

Contributor
Would it be possible to have it so that the current system—of having a single, whatever-the-scanlator(usually)-chose title that may be in Romaji, or English, depending—is also an option, maybe even the default? Some groups do seem to put some thought into whether to translate a title or just transliterate it on a case-by-case basis.

Random good example I can think of off the top of my head:

Snowflower scans gives:[ul]
https://mangadex.org/title/22031/dasadanan : as "Dasadanan", which apparently just means "eventful". This seems like a good decision; the title means very little but the sort of bouncy-sounding word goes really well with the bright tone of the series.

https://mangadex.org/title/28801/a-love-contract-with-the-devil : as "A Love Contract with the Devil" instead of as "악마와 계약 연애", however you pronounce that. In this case, it's pretty clear that the meaning of the title is indeed what's important.
[/ul]
A lot of the time I want to stick with what the scanlators thought was best. (Well, obviously not just the scanlation group edit the titles, especially on popular series, but I think the principle holds regardless—and for most titles, it really is just what the (first) scanlation group chose.)

Dex-chan lover
Meh I don't really care about titles. Better fix other bugs first such as the not working delayed updates in search.

Fed-Kun's army
Would it be possible to have it so that the current system—of having a single, whatever-the-scanlator(usually)-chose title that may be in Romaji, or English, depending
I hope not, series often have multiple titles/scanlators and some with really awful translations. Looking forward to follows being English

Group Leader
Hopefully the appropriate thread to post my request:

First place I usually go when I get on this site is my Follows page. Often I get excited when I see tons of updates on my favorite manga. Realizing a moment later its for another language release.

I don't care as much about the manga title but more of implementing a filtering system for language on my Follows page. (Similar to how selecting a language or genre on your search the site function works, accept its at the top of my follows page.)

I have not all formilular with web work but doesn't see like it would be to hard to implement?? Would appreciate it! If there are other addicts like me who have a bazillion follows this filter would be awesome. My follows page gets long enough as it is.

Again, thanks in advance if you add this!

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Kino4 Like this? https://mangadex.org/chapter/449568/1
f8204259fe.png

52a1d31794.png

Group Leader
My hero.

Why I couldn't figure that out I am unsure. I kept trying to click the symbols above the language section. For the last few month+.

My follows page so much better now. Thanks!

Fed-Kun's army
Lately my feed is nothing but this and I don't know what it means!

MAL5E5Z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread