MD Merch: Can You Dig It?

MD Merch: Can You Dig It?

• NobunagaOda's "My Neighbor MangaDex" - https://mangadex.org/thread/38101/2/#post_290926

Votes: 211 29.2%
  • Laxx's "Fat Cat!" - https://mangadex.org/thread/38101/2/#post_345911

Votes: 48 6.6%
  • Lynia's "Cat Dozing on a Book" - https://mangadex.org/thread/38101/1/#post_258174

Votes: 274 38.0%
  • No, I would not buy MD merchandise at all

Votes: 189 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
We've been tossing around the idea of opening up a merch store for months now and we decided that our first anniversary is a great way to float the idea to the community since our current Mega Anniversary Contest features t shirt designs! While we do have big plans for a system where supporters will get special features and privileges in exchange for supporting MD, it's been a longer slog than we thought it would be to get the site's backend organized and the API to a point where we feel comfortable releasing it.

We like the idea of MD merchandise because it will give our supporters something tangible to appreciate instead of having to wait an unspecified amount of time for updates to hit the site and have your faith in us justified. All proceeds from the merchandise go directly towards maintenance of the site.

To be clear, this poll is purely for gauging interest in whether or not MD should sell merchandise as another way of supporting the site. It is NOT a poll on which entry should win the contest, as only staff will be judging that. The provided t-shirt designs are just examples of stuff we could potentially sell. You can view the other entries here: https://mangadex.org/thread/38101

What do you think, folks? Please see some examples of merch in the poll that we feel would be most popular. As always, sound off below and let us know what you think!

Edit: Sorry, our poll system doesn't like URLs (yet). Just copy and paste into your browser!

Entry 1: Girl Cat
Entry 2: Fat Cat
Entry 3: Book Cat

Power Uploader
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery(...)"
-Oscar Wilde

Group Leader
I love the last one from Lynia version but that's it, the others feel 2 small or 2 plain for my taste.
I would also like to see small plastic miniatures of MangaDex cat for siting on the desk but that's just an idea.
If you're gonna do this make the delivery global.

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't making something for monetary gain like this brings trouble to the site since there's copyright and such?

Miku best girl
Admin
@Batotopls

No, because we're not selling anything we don't own the copyright to.

For example, we own the rights to our own name and logo.

@Alexakis

Yes, the plan would be to fulfill orders globally, if there is sufficient interest.

Group Leader
Not cool. Accepting donations to cover necessary expenses is fine, but monetizing the brand built on the work of scanlators is a step too far.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Guspaz
*All* proceeds go towards funding the site. As in, there are no profits being made. This is no different than donating to the site except supporters get a tangible reward for doing so.

Dex-chan lover
You mean not a problem at all. How long has this site been bato + for free? Bandwidth doesn't grow on trees

wOOOw thats nice all entries are soo nice, I like all of Lynia's designs the most coz its the simplest. I think its great for people that are not full time weebs. coz it doesnt say MANGA everywhere xD

Dex-chan lover
At first I picked NobunagaOda's design cause the Ghibli-esque motif was cute. I scrolled down the comments and people were picking Lynia's the most. I didn't understand why, until I realized that I accidentally looked at someone else's designs in the place of Lynia's.

Now that I have seen Lynia's, I want to change my vote. Consider NobunagaOda -1 and Lynia's +1 plz.

Fed-Kun's army
I like Oda's the most. the second one is too western for my tatste and the third doesn't give me the slightest hint of MD other than for the bottom text.

I voted lynia, but to be clear I would not buy "cat dozing on a book". I don't want to be a grown man walking around in cat shirts, no thanks. I just really like the simple designs that don't scream 'I'm a big autistic weeb'.

Contributor
I like Lynia > Nobunaga > Laxx mmm...
Actually I really like the old design of Nobunaga's mmm...

But now that I look at it, I actually like Nobunaga's better since there's a glasses girl, but well, already voted for Lynia mmm...
And maybe if there's an orange accent on the tail and face of Lynia's cat, I might like it more mmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread