H filter option should be permament :rejected:

Contributor
Hello, everytime i log in i have to set manually the hentai filter to "all", but sometimes i forget to do so, and so some of my follow up titles are hidden, can you please set this choice permament by default everytime i log-in?

I have cookies enabled but they are deleted everytime i close the browser so all temporary settings are lost. This option should be server side and connected with the account database like the languages.

Not a priority but can be a very appreciated addition.

Contributor
I believe that's the case when first introduced, maybe there's some spaghetti code when updating the site, but yeah that should not be too hard to implement mmm...

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Hello, everytime i log in i have to set manually the hentai filter to "all", but sometimes i forget to do so, and so some of my follow up titles are hidden, can you please set this choice permament by default everytime i log-in?

Hey Nick,

The H filter should be stored by a cookie. So long as you allow your browser to store MD's cookies, you should not have to toggle the H filter every time you log in. If it is still happening even after you've enabled cookies on MD, I'd submit a report in the Bugs forum.

Marking as implemented.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Zeph, Nick was saying he's aware that it's tied to cookies (which are intentionally deleted upon closing the browser) and that he'd prefer the toggle setting was saved server side. What he was asking is not implemented in any way.

That aside I don't think that's going to happen. Dealing with this stuff entirely server side would be a bit of a dent on both processing and storage in order to please a small fraction of the userbase. Once the proper filtering options are a thing, I imagine the H toggle is pretty likely to be reworked into that (or at least that's what would make sense) and that's even less likely to become a server-side setting. All I can say is that if that happens and you insist on clearing cookies every time, I'd consider leaving at least local storage intact so the relevant data could be read from there.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
You're right Tea. I misread the OP's post.

Tbh, if you clear out your cookies every time you log out of your browser, you're gonna have a bad time on MD. Well, as far as the H filter toggle goes.

I don't know anything about the tech side of things so I'm gonna assume Tea knows what he's talking about. Moving to Maybe until we have an official response.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
I disagree with Teasday and wanted to note, that usersettings that are supposed to be persistent (including H-filter-option) shouldn't be reset at regular (closing browser) or irregular (clearing cookies) interval, and the user having to reset the setting.
Thats what a db is for, thats what a user settings table is for, which (I assume) we already have.

if a user column `h_filter_state` or similar of type byte is added with default set to null, it doesn't occupy any or much space (depending on the db engine used) for anyone who leaves it at default. Those that chose to set it can benefit from not having to reset it every now and then. Its one byte per user at worst. I am confident it is worth the space.

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/109210/does-an-empty-column-value-occupy-same-storage-space-as-a-filled-column-value

Custom title
Staff
Developer
And like I already explained, if Holo has any sense, the H toggle would be rolled into the general tag filtering system, and by the time the tag system is revamped, I'm not so confident we can fit a set of both inclusionary and exclusionary tags into a byte or two.

Miku best girl
Admin
Actually the H filter setting was a user setting, however it was pointed out to me that guests then can't use it. This way, guests could assign the cookie and still be able to browse H (and remember the setting if they don't delete the cookie)

Of course, I'd rather that everyone just made an account and we wouldn't have this issue, but alas...

Users who are viewing this thread