Martial King's Retired Life - Ch. 35

Dex-chan lover
There's something I don't get.

If he's such a bad ass, how'd he get owned before??

Does this Manhua even do justice for the novel?
Cause if everything is so different i might as well be here for the looks of the women close to mc.

Aggregator gang
The fact that Go got translated as "chess" makes me really start to question the quality of the translations we are getting here. Seems the TL is more interested in complaining about the differences with the novel than in translation accuracy... :\

Aggregator gang
@GodGinrai well go is like chess just different rules but the way of thinking is the same. And some people call go = "Chinese chess"
and chess = "Western chess"

Aggregator gang
@Kamelpov You don't know wtf you are talking about. Chinese Chess is already a thing. It's called Xiangqi, and it is a completely different game from Go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi

Go doesn't play like chess at all and the way of thinking is completely different. Chess is a game where you must capture a particular piece using many pieces with different abilities. Go is about claiming more territory than your opponent, and your pieces are merely the stakes you hammer into the ground to make your fences.

Group Leader
@GodGinrai I stand corrected and plead ignorance. You are reading the pre-corrected version, having said that. I've called it chess for over 2 decades of life; I didn't even know Go was a thing.
You should most certainly scrutinise my translation quality the same way the plethora of incorrect and made up translations in ZTS' translation for chapter 1 were pointed out. I'm not RWX, DB or Etvo. I'm easily and notoriously the most unqualified translator out there for that matter. Nonetheless, I shall endeavour to meet the standards of the aforementioned names.
I do apologise for expressing my opinions. I shall not opine them henceforward.

Aggregator gang
@Wujizun To be honest, I don't mind your opinions about the differences between the novel version and the comic. It actually gives the translation some character and isn't obtrusive since you leave it until the end of a chapter. It's just that seeing Go labeled as Chess really made me start to worry about the translation quality. :\

The fact that you've responded with an understanding that there may be issues with your translation and an intent to improve them already has me feeling much better about the translation. :)

@Wujizun You should totally go read Hikaru no Go. Very deep and touching too. And will help you learn the world of Go. So much that you might end up trying it out ;)

Users who are viewing this thread