Sort by amount of chapters published :rejected:

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
Err, what? How does your databank work if it does not keep track about which chapters are associated with which title? Black magic involving virgin blood and goat sacrifices?
Of course chapters are linked to the titles, and adding a counter that simply looks how many chapters are associated with title X should be easy.

VIP
Somewhat related previous discussions:
- #18032: Show how many chapters a series has when searching
- #21633: Option to search Manga by length (no of readable images)
- #31776: Sort by number of chapters
- #42312: Include page count with other chapter info

EDIT: Not sure, but there may be some miscommunication here about the meaning about "published"? I think Mangadex doesn't track the number of chapters actually published in the serialization source (i.e. what MAL puts for "volumes" and "chapters", and what MU puts under "Status in Country of Origin"), but obviously Mangadex ought to know about which and how many chapters have been uploaded here. Don't know if that helps.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Narf Just like @ununseti said, I was talking about the publishing status. The only data we track about that is the final volume and chapter numbers.

If we're talking about sorting by the amount of chapters uploaded to the site, technically we could calculate and sort manga based on that information. The problem is that sorting that out becomes a pretty massive calculation. For starters, we have about half a million chapters on the site. To figure out the amount of chapters any given manga has, since we allow alternative releases by different groups, each manga needs to get their chapter total calculated separately based on the available volume/chapter numbers (at this point it doesn't help that some groups leave volume numbers out and some don't, etc). They also need to be filtered based on the user's language, hentai and tag filtering settings, which additionally complicate caching this data. Finally, the results need to be sorted.

Even if we hashed this all out so that performance wasn't a huge issue (reminder that we're already getting 502 errors during peak times), chapter count isn't necessarily a great metric for figuring what manga you want to read. You only have to consider manga with a hundred 1-page chapters vs. manga with five 20-page chapters to figure that out. At that point, we'd have to additionally be calculating page count averages, complicating things even further.

So yeah, while none of this would be impossible to implement, it's not realistic to do so. At least not right now.

@Teasday - although this thread is in conclusion, reading your post got my creativeness going as to what would be a way around this issue. This can be ignored as i'm just plonking this here for fun, however;

In terms of search calculations, a way around this might be to create a hidden pre-baked property attached to to each title, that, every time a chapter in a particular language is uploaded, it updates the a numeric count. This should eliminate any need to calculate how many chapters there are per title, and instead only requires it to look up the (at time of search) static chapter count, in the index that pertains to the users viewing language (Getting the chapter sort to only sort to a particular viewing language however i feel might be tricky?).

I'm probably being a noob here as I've not done programming and the likes for years now, but you know the feeling, when you see a problem and get the itch to theorize about it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@reeverdark Yeah, something like is what's essentially what's being done for example with latest updates (although I'm not sure it's being used as effectively as possible right now). If we were to implement this, that kind of a pattern is what would we use, although the problem here is that it would be an inordinately large resource investment for a seldomly used feature. Latest updates on the other hand gets used all the time.

Ah yeah I meant the number of chapters uploaded to the site.
But, well noted on the technical challenges.

Users who are viewing this thread