New features: 2 factor authentication and more genres added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Over the holidays, we will be adding more features to MangaDex.

2 factor authentication has been added for improved security - check this out in your settings page.

More genres have been added, and how they are displayed has also been improved.

A big thanks to our hardworking devs, @rdn and @Teasday for getting this implemented!

Expect more updates in the coming days!

thanks a lot @rdn , @Teasday and all the team! The new tag system seem interesting ( I don't try out yet on my tablet though). Thanks again :)

Custom title
Staff
Developer
As a bit of a warning, some browsers with poor JavaScript support may have trouble with the new tag dropdowns, but this is planned to be fixed.

When I get back home after the holiday visits

It's amazing that the site where you read comics has 2FA before many sites that would stand to benefit more from it more security...

Thanks though, and good work

(Now only to implement U2F and one time passwords)

I can't be the only one that feels like the new drop down for tags on the Search page takes relatively forever to select multiple tags. You now have to click, scroll down, click the tag, re-scroll, click the tag, re-scroll, etc. Previously I could instantly tick things off in literally 1 second or less.

Since the old style is strangely still included in the Settings section if you want to exclude tags, you can even compare the two timings. Time yourself ticking even just 2 tags off in one section (genres for example) and then compare how much quicker you can do it in the exclude tags section. Do it again for one from genres and one from themes. If you get little more complicated than 2 tags, you're wasting even more time.

Group Leader
I'm not against the update, but what are the chances of old or not as popular mangas having the new genres added to them? I can't help but think that even with all the new genres being added, I'll most likely still be using the old ones, with the now-bulky dropdown search mechanic

Search works again!

Re-documented search api for noob programmers or anyone trying to do something overly weird.

Also, once WebAuthn standard is finalized(already written, but still under review. probably just a few more revisions and a nice long security audit) and fully supported(give it 1 to 2 more years. our major browsers already support the most crucial parts of it), would you consider adding support for it as a main(single) factor authentication instead of passwords. Its not that we need this site to be any more secure, but there are so many sites making you use weird passwords nowadays that it has become hard for many to keep up with what is used where.

For those who don't know, webauthn is a w3c(people in charge of defining web standards) spec in progress for a password-less authentication relying on public key cryptography (also can be used as a 2f).
Basically, password based authentication authenticates you by what you know
WebAuthn authenticates you by what you have. You may add multiple devices to ensure you can login even if you loose one of them.

Thank you for your work, but I'm really not a fan of the drop down menu. It seems very clunky compared to seein everything at one glance. I haven't checked how many categories there are now though, so maybe it is neccessary. Thanks again!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@forsakenme @VadimZap There's over 70 tags now (nearly twice as much as before), fairly likely with more coming, especially if/when we decide to add H tags. Making them display all at once would make the search form in particular pretty massive, even more so on mobile. It's just not sustainable.

Yeah, I thought that might have been the reason ?. I've played around with it for a bit and it is much more useable than it appears at first glance. Tks and happy holidays!

Contributor
Only issue I have so far is that a lot of the series need reorganizing. Gender Bender is now part of content a la ecchi and smut, which means that a bunch of stories that either involved crossdressing or being reincarnated into a new gender need to be updated. It's hard to put official definitions to the tags as well, so it all comes down to best judgement.

Dex-chan lover
There should be an option to turn back things to previous version.
Scrolling down is a bad idea to narrow down the search and i cant seems to find anything to short by latest update

You can sort it out, but it seems like the update sorta f'ed up the update times of the sorting of the mangas, IDK about the other genres, but It seems like gender bender is out of wack in terms of update sort. I can't find the new ones if there are even any.

is a Reindeer
VIP
Someone start tagging all the lolis and shotas!

@mendics Genderbender is gonna get killed pretty soon since it's being replaced with genderswap and crossdressing, don't rely on it to work right now

@Teasday is there a way to apply bootstrap-select to the search select boxes too? As the same way the selection for languages in the config section, so that way we don't have to keep opening it for multiple selections, I don't know if it would be friendly for mobile users though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread