The Makeup Remover - Ch. 23

G-P

Dex-chan lover
I hope this fat chick will be established as a good supporting side character. Otherwise she's getting way too much screen time.

Aggregator gang
I hope she is not, let this be a one off and keep the story pushing

Fed-Kun's army
I think she'll stay, since every character serves to show a point of view towards make-up, if she "quits" now it would leave a bad taste.
So maybe she'll be the sort of person who learns to like it (but that might be too similar to Yeseul).

I agree, I think she'll stay. It makes sense to have a few supporting cast members whose first experiences with makeup set them on a new life course.

Dex-chan lover
This is why class reunions should be treated like nuclear waste dumps.

I never went to any class reunion but I could imagine that something like this might happen in real life...she tried her best to look nice and yet there's still "if you do this or that"...it's still wasn't enough...
That's the reality we lived in...SAD BUT TRUE...

Dex-chan lover
Trust me, even if you're not fat, you still won't be happy. The steps of being happy is giving less shit about other opinion

Double-page supporter
Yup, these kind of people don't deserve the attention, because looks are never going to be good enough for them, and spending money to look like someone you're not is also not the best choice... Let's see what they'll make of this arc.

Dex-chan lover
The status culture in Korea is ridic, just having an outdated phone draws in comments from people.

@comedyxtragedy
Eastern countries dont have the same concepts of individualism that western countries do, in most cases, they put society before the individual.

@suchtla
hope so too, she makes for such an interesting character and if she can grow beyond it more for the better, reminds of the "random chatting" manwha

@G-P / @Cleesus her character has shown more of what the author is trying to say with this series in basically 2 chapters than all the rest of the characters besides our heroine combined. Are you missing the point of this? You remind me of the characters making fucked up comments about her weight and appearance. From my experience the only people who go out of their way to point out flaws in others are those who have flaws of their own and put others down to make themselves feel "above" them. A round of applause for you!

P.S. you must not be paying any attention at all. Yeseul has very few friends and she is obviously being set up as one of her first true girl friends.

Aggregator gang
@paulmanton dude you need to calm down. You literally triggered yourself and put words in my mouth and saw what you wanted to see in my comment. It isnt that deep i swear

Contributor
Yeah, it was wasted money.

What's the point of looking good for strangers/older classmates you don't even see regulary ?

Those classmates a disgustingly rude, but sadly this isn't really an uncommon scene. Somehow when a person looks unconfident and meek people feel freer to criticize them, in fact it attracts critical people like sharks to blood. You see it in groups of people all the time be it school or the workplace, there is often someone everyone feels entitled to be "above" or "better than." It's not even always with malicious intent but just the imperfect nature of people wanting to compare and be superior and something that we have to consciously resist.

On the flip side, its never a good idea to pin your confidence/happiness of the opinions of others. No matter how beautiful you are, there will always be someone to criticize you and want to drag you down. We can see this clearly with Jeewon's character. Not that it's easy to completely ignore the opinions of others, but it's a filtering process. You have to decide whose opinion counts for you.

@Aeriandra so true! People will criticize you no matter what you do. If you're on the chunky side, they'll pester you about losing weight and make it sound like friendly concern, or guilt trip you about whatever you eat in front of them. If you're thin, they'll nitpick about your eating (eating too little for their standards or turning down food, "You need to eat more! You'll waste away!" Eating too much, "I don't know how you can eat like that and still be thin! I'm so jealous!"). And as for the beauty aspect, if you're plain they want you to doll up, but if you're beautiful they think you're shallow. It's so twisted and I don't understand it at all. I guess it just makes them feel more powerful preying on those who won't fight back.

Every time I think this series can't get any better in its commentary on modern beauty standards, it does.

Group Leader
I wish this redhaired guy had a prayer because he seems like a genuinely decent person. Awkward as hell, but a decent guy.

I really love how this manga is highlighting all the reasons I never want to go to Korea. Their beauty standards are so unrealistic I'm getting triggered across the screen. //dead

Users who are viewing this thread