Handyman Saitou in Another World - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
The fact he now keeps the wizard from forgetting his lines makes them a group to truly fear.
Waiting for the obligatory "elitist bully" group to cause their mandatory drama.

Dex-chan lover
That's...actually a pretty good idea. Even someone without magical talent can still assist like this.

I guess "Spellbook" is another job to add to the list.

Dex-chan lover
I always wondered why Morlock didn't write down his spells or have his teammates help him remember. Glad the author closed that hole

Since he has no magical powers and can't use magic on his own, then all that effort to remember the spells will go to waste when Morlock retires....

Since he has no magical powers and can't use magic on his own, then all that effort to remember the spells will go to waste when Morlock retires....

@Someguy Sure, it might just be useless knowledge in the future, however, that is kind of a weirdthought process considering the knowledge literally came in handy in this chapter. If he hadn’t learned it now, he might not be alive in the future.

Fed-Kun's army
@Someguy

It won't go to waste since he so many ways to use this knowledge. Being able to recognize various spells will always be useful, especially if you get attacked by an enemy caster of some kind and know how to retaliate appropriately. He could also teach others the spells, but I'm not sure how the magic system of this world works so I dunno.

Dex-chan lover
I hope he'll keep the old guy from casting Meteor until the plot demands it.

Dex-chan lover
who knows, maybe by the time Marlock retires, he'll gain some magic ability. If he can't, it's not like he couldn't train or learn to do something else. All of us learn a lot of things that aren't going to be useful in the specific thing we decide to do in life. You kinda have to while your trying to figure out what that things going to be or get to the point where you can do it. There's nothing strange about an engineer studying english in their early college days. In fact, often the random things you learn can become quite useful if you understand your field or said random things well enough. That engineer I mentioned will probably need to learn technical writing if they want to work in a group or sell the things they make.

tl;dr
he could probably find a use for it later. If not, no biggie.

Dex-chan lover
actually, I want to add to what I said before, something I want to point out about fantasy rpg settings in general.

So, there's this one story about people playing a table top game we call "Earl, son of Earl". In the story, the DM of the game was one of those egotistical, pseudo-intellectual types and he threw that at everyone playing. He changed the rules and calculations and would always kill or disable the characters of people who played physical classes saying that "in a world of magic, the intellectuals would dominate-blah blah blah". The story itself is just about how to effectively piss off this kind of DM and "ruin" his game. However, I want to talk about his and most fantasy stories mistaken assumption of a "designated mage" in a world of magic.

Take a moment to consider what would actually happen if you introduced to idea of magic into combat, war...dungeon exploration, what have you. The idea of magic is that there's some kind of break in physical limitations or the laws of physics. As challenges progress in an rpg or fantasy story, it becomes unreasonable to expect a swordsman's physical abilities to keep up with things like dragons or gods. The swordsman would probably have to adapt some form of physical/mental strengthening and reinforcement magics to stay relevant. Conversely, a physically weak, lightly armored, slow moving mage has no business being in firing range of a battle. So, I think that the scholarly, "designated mage" probably wouldn't be involved in fighting directly while every other sort that shows up in adventurer parties would actually be some branch of mage with the aforementioned swordsman, tanks working barrier magic, and traditional mages and all the other ranged fighters being merged into artillery as examples. For the thief type, the role that Saitou plays while they explore, they need to be able to deal with magical traps and can also use it to improve their own stealth. So, he'll probably need magic to improve his own specialties to handle more difficult things. Even if he can't learn to use it himself, he needs to gain some form of awareness and knowledge of it.

Most stories now work more like this and there are some who directly comment on it. Tower of God explicitly stated that "everyone becomes a Wave Controller (mage)" because of the reasons I mentioned about physical limits and the mc, a mage, also trains in martial arts, overcoming his melee and mobility limits. Really, I just wanted to point out the flaw in the traditional fantasy rpg setup. It's only if you assume that setup makes sense that makes it so he wouldn't benefit from learning or learning about magic.

@Meridis
I completely agree with you. The more advanced your technology, the more vunlerable it is to primative weapons.

An example would be a Jedi vs a shotgun, they can deflect blaster (energy) shots, and even if they could still deflect physical objects, the multi shoot would get passed them.

The only thing I would add is that the pure designated mage would still be around, just not as prevelently. They would only occur in large groups which would keep the targets back for them to snip individuals or hand out damage on boss type creatures.

Easily killed by physical attacks, they would be useless in the traditional 4 member party.

Users who are viewing this thread