“Pull down to update” on mobile

I know this might seem silly since you can just refresh the page, however I have mangadex added to my phone’s Home Screen as a progressive web app. This removes the browser container and just presents the content. The mangadex UI lends itself to this in almost every way except for refreshing list pages (recent updates/follow feed).

Dex-chan lover
It seems Apple's handling of PWAs is pretty garbage and it will be a while before that changes, if at all

Custom title
Staff
Developer
We currently serve static pages everywhere except the reader, so "pulling down to update" would just mean refreshing the entire page. I don't have an iPhone so I dunno how their PWA's look, but you'd get the same effect just pressing the refresh page button. Assuming it's there somewhere.

Understood.

The iPhone PWA experience is lacking (specifically lacking a refresh page button). The work around here is to just press the mangadex link at the top to the Home page then re-navigate to the page you wanted to refresh. This isn’t too tedious for the follows page but for a specific genre page or comment section it can be annoying. This is definitely a niche quality of life improvement, so I understand if it’s not a priority.

Dex-chan lover
Would that browser feature depend on the version of Safari being used on the phone?
I don't have a smart phone myself, but had access to one for work till it died so my knowledge of Iphone surfing culture is a bit limited.
So feel free to tell me to shut up if I'm too far off base here. 🤤

Users who are viewing this thread