Auto-follow features. :maybe:

If possible I wish there was a way to automatically follow new works by the same author through some sort of "favourite" list.
Additionally this could also be applied to certain tags or uploaders.
It would help you keep track of whatever is new in that authors catalogue or in your favourite genres.

If X tag or author is in your "favourites list" their new works get automatically added to your "follow list".
A favourite section could even feature in your MDList too.

Thanks.

Double-page supporter
No no no no no NOOOOOOOOO!

I don't need hundreds of trash isekai in my follows! NO!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I have thought about at least some sort of an author follow system, but that's not currently going to work because we don't have separate "author entities" in our system. The author names are just arbitrary strings at the moment.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how this suggestion would really work with our current plans for the future of follow lists. Thanks for bringing it up, we'll put it into consideration.

Contributor
@borgo42

NO

[*] could've better if you suggest it as a new function for Featured rather than for "Reading" list.

[*] Keep in mind that registered users can create titles which means that trash might appear in your "Reading" list.

[*] Instant follow based on tag is too extreme ... No

cd06a504985b6e48b57ea4f955adbce44f2755d1_hq.gif

@Teasday if you do something like this will there be an option to turn it off? Same thing for the search returning only one hit and automatically taking you to it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Having discussed it, I think we'll make it so that users can follow not only manga but also pretty much all other sources like authors, groups, individual uploaders and so on. This isn't an "auto-follow" that adds the author's manga to your personal manga list, it's essentially following the entity itself. All these various entity follows will then be aggregated on your follows page, where you'll find your chapter updates.

This is also related to the curated lists we're planning, but suffice it to say that you just follow things or you don't, you won't add them to a separate Reading list like currently. Should make things more straightforward.

Also, I think every other poster in this thread than the OP completely misunderstood what he was saying.

Contributor
Also, I think every other poster in this thread than the OP completely misunderstood what he was saying.

@Teasday similar to MDList + Custom Search + Featured, no?

[*] registered users can make "trash" titles which will appear in that "Favorite" list ( Author, Artist, Tags )

[*] following tags... tags are not always accurate that's why we have a lot of suggestions to make a new tags... too extreme & vague atm to make it a thing ... search is better ( based on OP's description
If X tag or author is in your "favourites list" their new works get automatically added to your "follow list"
)

[*] I don't really get a desire to follow a certain groups/uploaders ... seems useless to me.

[*] the scariest thing about OP's suggestion
A favourite section could even feature in your MDList too.
@Teasday
This isn't an "auto-follow" that adds the author's manga to your personal manga list

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@YumGumYum posted:

registered users can make "trash" titles which will appear in that "Favorite" list ( Author, Artist, Tags )
Report those so we can delete them. Either way, in practice this is more relevant to chapters than titles.

As for the rest of the points... like the OP said, just don't follow them, nobody's forcing you. The system we're planning to implement anyway allows us to fairly trivially create this as an option, so no real reason not to take advantage of it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@YumGumYum I mean, we're adding generic and curated manga lists as part of the basic functionality of v5. Being able to subscribe to them arbitrarily isn't too much extra time given that we're going to have to implement some kind of a manga list based follows system anyway. The alternative is to write extra code to disallow subscribing to some lists.

People don't seem to understand that I'm suggesting an OPTION.
I'm not saying shit will show up in your list all of a sudden.
Also, to clarify, I just mentioned following uploaders or scanlator groups as another example of how this could be applied.

Truth be told what I really want is to get notified of new works by authors I follow, like Teasday said, or of new works from tags I follow, instead of having to look each of them up individually.

So let me try to explain it once again to some people:
[ul]You can OPT to follow an artist/tag and a new series that fits that criteria would get added to your follow list or, as Teasday suggested, they would show up in some sort of aggregated list.[/ul]

I hope this cleared all the confusion.

@borgo42 i think it was the word auto that threw people off, auto implies no action required at least to me. I do think the ability to follow an author is a good idea, although I wouldn't use it. I'd just like to see them fix the bug on the manga title pages where you click on the authors name link and get a bunch authors not just the the author of the manga you like.

Users who are viewing this thread