Dev news: Launching API version 2 (also v1 deprecation notice) | Last updated 2021-01-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
Code:
NOTE:
This isn't a 3rd party (Tachiyomi, Paperback etc) support thread for general users.
The current caching-related issues you may have with 3rd party clients are being worked on. There's nothing you can do but wait.​

For the average MangaDex user, I doubt this announcement will be super relevant! You may be more interested in reading our previous announcement if you haven't already.

Launching API v2
For any developers looking at doing stuff with our data, however, we have an update to our API, making it hopefully much less of a headache to use. The previous version should be considered deprecated, but it is currently reachable at the same old URLs and is still actually in use by our reader (haven't bothered to update that thing yet), but regardless, we are planning on scrapping it eventually for performance reasons so please migrate your current code to v2.

https://api.mangadex.org/v2/

The API index should speak for itself. Documentation in JSON isn't necessarily the absolute best way to go about it, but I'm sure it's clear enough for you guys.

Now, this API is not complete and most likely won't ever entirely be. We wrote it as somewhat of a stopgap measure to both improve usability for 3rd parties as well as to create a solid base for us to work on a couple of features for the current site while we're doing the entire site rework, known as MangaDex v5. Future endpoints should include at least one for the latest updates (i.e. the frontpage chapter listing) among other , but if you have requests or improvement suggestions, let us know. By the way, you should expect the API to change again for v5 so sorry about that, but this version at least resembles the approach we're taking with that one.

Financial Situation and Contest
Finally, I'd like to quickly echo a couple of points from our previous announcement (which you can read for more information) just in case you missed it:
- After the donations unfortunately dried up due to our moving away from PayPal as well as the Current World Situation, we would greatly appreciate any crypto donations you could spare in order to keep the site running. Check out the Support page. We would be similarly grateful if you decided to sign up to host a MD@H server.
- We are holding our third Mega Anniversary Contest, so go ahead and take part in that as well for a chance to win some prizes, including a $50 Amazon/Steam gift card!

Changelog

2021-01-17
- Fixed group leaders and members still not being able to read their delayed chapters

2021-01-15
- Fixed group leaders and members not having permission to read their own delayed chapters.
- Added parameter
Code:
blockgroups
to all endpoints that return a list of chapters (e.g. /manga/:id/chapters and others).
- Added parameters
Code:
type
and
Code:
hentai
to /user/:id/followed-manga (same params that followed-updates already had).
- Added
Code:
mainCover
to /user/:id/followed-manga and /user/:id/manga/:id.

2021-01-11
- Added
Code:
read
to the chapter entities in /user/:id/followed-updates. These are based on the actual stored markers, so under certain conditions they may be
Code:
false
even though chapters may appear as read on the website, such as when a manga is followed as Completed.
- [Future breaking] Added
Code:
title
the simple manga entities in /user/:id/followed-updates. IMPORTANT: This is because the entity erroneously used the
Code:
name
field for the title. Both fields currently have identical information, and
Code:
name
will be removed by the end of the month in a breaking change.
- Fixed the baseUrl in the index to reflect the new url.

2020-12-27
- Fixed
Code:
isHentai
in a manga's relations always showing up as false
- A manga's alt titles are now trimmed from surrounding whitespace

2020-11-28
- [Breaking] Changed the format of
Code:
shownChapterLangs
and
Code:
excludedTags
in
Code:
/user/{id}/settings
to be in line with their proper entity formats
- Added
Code:
mangaTitle
to
Code:
/user/{id}/followed-manga

2020-11-26
- Fixed the
Code:
groups
field in the chapter entity sometimes showing up as an object instead of an array (thanks to php's array_filter not working as I expected it to)
- Fixed a problem that lead to chapter lists unexpectedly sometimes returning only 100 items due to a caching conflict
- Implemented a user's MDList privacy setting applying to the required authorization of
Code:
GET /user/{id}/followed-manga

2020-11-18
- Fixed chapter list pagination by using the
Code:
p
parameter returning results from the wrong offset
- Fixed chapter views being incremented even when the chapter was unavailable to the user

2020-11-10
- [Breaking] Changed the
Code:
{ id: "name" }
groups map in chapter listings to an array of simple group entities
Code:
[ { id, name } ]
so that it's in line with the rest of the api
- [Breaking] Moved the
Code:
read
parameter in POST /user/{id}/marker from the query to the body
- Fixed
Code:
lastChapter
always returning null in the manga endpoint
- Added
Code:
uploader
user ID and
Code:
views
to chapter entities
- Added a short explanation about authentication to the
Code:
description
field in the index
- Added /relations to describe the available manga relation types
- Added /follows to describe the available follow types (consider this temporary, we may rework the endpoint)

Group Leader
I dunno but throwing crypto at you sounds like a pain. Any recommendation for things I can go through some other system like cash to crypto/paypal-crypto/bank transfer/etc?

will we be able to get our current bookmarked manga moved over to that new mangadex once it is ready?

7rK

Group Leader
@AVTE Hey there, I won't garuentee my informatio is absolutely correct, so take it with a bit of salt. Firstly, i don't think any of your bookmarks or saved manga will be affected. There would be an outrage otherwise
This is mostly an API upgrade, also take note, they mentioned Migrating.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@zeen3 posted:

I dunno but throwing crypto at you sounds like a pain. Any recommendation for things I can go through some other system like cash to crypto/paypal-crypto/bank transfer/etc?
Well, we did write up the Bitcoin support guide a while back, but I'd say for obvious reasons we can't exactly directly tell you what should you do with your money or anything.

@AVTE posted:

will we be able to get our current bookmarked manga moved over to that new mangadex once it is ready?
Yeah, all the data will be moved over, of course. That's not going to be relevant for a while anyway.

Has the crypto guide been updated for the PayPal crypto stuff yet? I got approved for their beta but haven't donated cause I have no idea what I am doing T. T.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@comeonnow0 @cronored https://caniuse.com/webp still a hell of a lot of apple users not supported, a non-trivial amount given how many million visitors we have a month

You don't have any information about how to donate.. How about posting Wallet IDs for cryptos?

I feel that the manga/{id}/chapters object doesnt really work, with most Json APIs they assume that the keys are mappable to static json structures, but the way groups are handled with it is really weird and not deserialization to a object, as the key is the group id, which cant be deserialized to a object unless we add every group id to the template object. I suggest making it a list like chapter/{id} has, a json array of the group object, so we can map each group id to a value through the common id after deserialization

Dex-chan lover
Lymus' Christmas profile pic is freaky. I guess that's what happens when he takes off the mask.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Plykiya posted:

The donation information was on the previous announcement, where it mentioned the Support page.
added to op

@Jobobby04 posted:

I feel that the manga/{id}/chapters object doesnt really work, with most Json APIs they assume that the keys are mappable to static json structures, but the way groups are handled with it is really weird and not serializable to a object, as the key is the group id, which cant be deserialized to a object unless we add every group id to our template object. I suggest making it a list like chapter/{id} has, a json array of the group object
You're completely right, it was a lazy job. I'll update it by tomorrow hopefully.

Oh God I never knew there was an API at all. and I stupidly complained why there weren't any all the time.

Is there any rule on the usage? I mean, can we just build another website that serve the same content as you guys without any restriction?

The API index should speak for itself. Documentation in JSON isn't necessarily the absolute best way to go about it, but I'm sure it's clear enough for you guys.
It's better than not having any documentation. Thanks for this, great work!

I went through all the endpoints. Can confirm, I can understand it without difficulty.

@lydd as the op said the API is incomplete, building another website would be tricky

It's neat that there is an API though, I have a project idea 😀
Thanks for all the hard work on the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread