TLDR Server upgrades, expected downtime, donation status and new contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
I'm sure you all are aware of recent constant 502's and errors, so you know what that means... upgrade time!

Why?
Well, it appears we've outgrown our current webserver once again by now servicing more than 2 million registered users with 10 million unique visitors per month (an explosive growth of 200% since last year alone!) and that's not even counting people who use ad blockers and other extensions that block google analytics by default, or from reader apps like Tachiyomi & Paperback.

Fortunately, it hasn't been all bad. Our MangaDex@‎Home initiative has truly allowed us to survive for this long. If not for this, I'm sure we'd be in far more trouble that we currently are, so, to all of the kind server donors - Thank you for your Support! If you wish to join and donate a bit of your bandwidth with everyone so we can all read more, please consider signing up here. More clients are always needed, especially in the Americas, they are lagging way behind EU in resources.

Now for the details:
We will require some downtime in order to transfer the site to the new webserver. This is scheduled to begin between monday or tuesday next week (Nov 02~03,2020) and will last at minimum a couple of hours and up to a day. We appreciate your patience while our devs work hard at (avoiding dying in the flames of our current servers) making all the necessary changes to our servers.

People on the tech savvy side will be happy to hear that we've reworked the API and will be releasing a v2 API that makes it easier for us to develop additional endpoints while we wait for the release of the fabled MangaDex v5 (coming soon™). After the API rework is live, the front page will be reworked to support pagination as has been requested by so many KissManga refugees in the past few years.

After the upgrade is done!
All the details of our current infrastructure and monthly costs is located on our Support Page, which will be updated shortly after completing this upgrade! Aaaand since you're there, it wouldn't hurt if you wanna throw a few crypto-bucks at us, since the upgrade is sure to take a considerable chunk of our current saved funds. If you're not savvy on the whole crypto thing (like I was), our previous Overlord (rip) wrote a handy simple guide on how to do so.

Further upgrades:
As well as our webserver requiring an upgrade, our image archives will also need upgrading this month. There won't be any downtimes for this upgrade. For those of you who are interested, our total image archive capacity was upgraded from 8TB to 16TB around 1 year ago, and now we are approaching the limit again. This time we are looking to upgrade to 24TB, which should give us capacity for another year's worth of uploads. Inevitably, this will increase our monthly running costs.

Our current financial situation
Our current financial situation is currently not great. When we initially asked for crypto donations, the response in the initial couple of months was great, and we were able to build up significant funds. However, in the last couple of months, crypto donations have all but dried up, with people donating occasionally. People may have less disposable income given the current COVID-19 situation, which is totally understandable. But if you are able to, it would be greatly appreciated if you can send some crypto our way, and keep the site ad-free! That said, the situation isn't dire, and we do still have some funds left over from our Paypal days and crypto surplus to tide us over the next couple of months.

Hopefully, Paypal's push for allowing buying and selling crypto will make it easier in the future for y'all to do it, whenever this happens, we'll update our guide to include this too.

Supporting us in any way, either by donating or hosting a MD@‎H server, is greatly appreciated.

Mega Anniversary Contest: Third Edition
There has not been a flood of contests this year, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to celebrate our anniversary like usual! If you want to win some fabulous prizes, such as a $50 Amazon/Steam gift card from the MangaDex Team, check out the details here: Megaversary Thread

Finally, big thanks to all of our current new and long time users and supporters, see you on the other side ;9

Ooh, a Too Long; Reject, Deny post.

We don't get many of those anymore.
EDIT: Awh, it got fixed back to TLDR.

Thanks for the update! And the coming upgrade!

Dex-chan lover
For all people who host Mangadex@home, thank you
iu

uwu
Staff
Developer
Long time lurker but it's highly important we get more MD@Home volunteers! It eases the burdens off the main image server! Sign up if you got resources to spare!

Dex-chan lover
What's the priority - more servers hosting, or crypto donations?

I'm in a position where I can make a donation for one or other and if I can help out I will!

That's cool! Can't wait for all the new stuff coming our way, huge thanks to all the staff for their hard work!!

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@MonsieurQuack Crypto is more of a pain for people to use, so if you're willing to do either we'd rather you use that.

Aggregator gang
Thx for doing god's work, but crypto is a massive fucking pain in the ass to use. Do provide more easy ways of letting y'all earn some cash.

Dex-chan lover
I still regret I'm so slow to do anything that I didn't donate during the Paypal period. Regrettably since I detest crypto with passion, I wouldn't use it unless my very life depended on it. If there's any way you could think of or come up with to donate without crypto, it would be jolly good.

Group Leader
@BraveDude8 I've been thinking about this for ages, but why don't you open an online t-shirt store, like youtubers do? With Teespring for example, which is easy both for you to set up and for people to buy from. People could support you while getting a fancy mangadex design t-shirt at the same time. I think it's a super easy way to earn profit from your brand that you should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread