Add a "hide" button, that does exacly the same thing as the "spoiler" button.

Dex-chan lover
Add a "hide" button, that does exacly the same thing as the "spoiler" button.​
Sounds redundant, but there is a reason behind it. The spoiler is quite nifty and gets "abused" for other things, than hiding spoilers. Hiding big images, for example. This is rather polite and I commend such behaviour, but this has a down side. I some cases you can't be sure any more, if there is a spoiler, an elaborate joke or an image hidden behind it. The use-case gets blurred.

Background story, why I opened this thread (You can skip this paragraph.): I like to spoil me some story. But just today I read the content of a spoiler tag, without realizing, that it might actually contain spoilers. Duh! And it was a major spoiler! As I do read such spoilers (depending on the story), no harm was done. The author didn't do anything wrong either. He used the spoiler tag in a correct manner, and didn't encourage to read it. It was my curiosity, that was at "fault". But then I realized I would have read this spoiler any ways, even if didn't want to spoil the story for me, because it was just the natural flow of things. It's likely that others would do that, too.

Adding a "hide" or "hidden" tag would take care of this issue. One could also implement to modify the text on the "spoiler" toggle button (e.g. ), but this might be to much for the casual poster to use and he/she would just use it in its simple spoiler form anyway. Same would be true, for the other way around (e.g.[hide="spoiler"][/hide]), as spoilers would just be hidden behind the "hide" button, giving no warning at all, because some casual poster just can't be bothered with this. Offering bother the "spoiler" and the "hide" tag, would be the simplest solution to this.

If this is considered, I am all for being able to change the text of the hide button, but leave spoiler as it is (its a spoiler, thus it says spoiler. No ambiguity. People bad at English wont be able to accidentally imply its something else). Also, possibly a different color button to better differentiate the two. Of course, being able to modify spoiler text is common for bbcode, but a separate tag for non-spoilers makes more sense.
Those few of us trying to be nice by not taking over the entire screen with an overly informative post or extra large images would have a new way to express that the content is safe to click on.
Of course, nothing would stop users from posting non-spoiler content in spoilers, as many do for jokes
haha, I didn't read the LN. I have no clue what happens next!

I don't see a particular need for formatting button to be added for this. I would be perfectly happy typing [hide][/hide]. And I fear adding another button would confuse standard users on which to click for spoilers. This would be advanced bbcode for people who can read the bbcode documentation.
(btw, consider moving or linking the bbcode documentation into tutorials. And while it is hard to read when manualy editing, consider abusing tags in tutorial for spaceless, copy/pastable bbcode text.
[b]b[/b]
[s]s[/s]
[spoiler]This is a spoiler[/spoiler]
So those without edit permissions know what I did to achieve that:
[[s][/s]b]b[[s][/s]/b]
)

Dex-chan lover
Is it just my phone glitching out or has literally the entire passage showed up on the main page at that sneak peak at recent forum activities box thingy.

Btw, I support this idea.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN its a bug that occurs with several of the formatting bbcode tags. We rarely see the problem because people rarely use the bbcode tags with the problem. I know ul/ol/bulletin trigger it. I haven't tested, but from this post, I would question if h1-h6 trigger it as well

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I agree and have asked Holo for this functionality since the day spoiler was implemented, and to change the spoiler to the traditional black-text-on-black-background thing.

Wait, I guess it falls to me to do it now

Users who are viewing this thread