Commentary section for each page

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes it is more fun to directly read a comment, when the page, it refers to, is open and you haven't read the whole chapter. It's situation comedy and hilarity ensues.

I knew there are downsides.
[ul][*]Where to fit the section in the window frame? (As most screens are 16:10/16:9, you could try to fit it into the side menu. The options don't need that much space anyway.)
[*]It eats up resources and will look cluttered. (Remove most commentary section features, like image posting, links, code style, etc and limit each postings size to 512 or at least 256 characters. Just pure text and emojis)
[*]The chapter's commentary section would lose it's importance/We already have the chapter section and it's sufficient. (It will become shorter for sure. Make it so, that there is a load button for it at the end of all readers page and it will be used./Regarding sufficiency: I can't argue that and I don't want to. My suggestion is simply a suggestion.)
[*]Wouldn't such a feature regress in some sort of permanent logging chatroom? (Don't add an automatic refresh an each new post, but a refresh button. Add a posting delay (30sec or 1min) and/or limit the posts to 4 per page and hour.)[/ul]

Mockup:

PS: Mockup images resolution sucks, but it's still good enough to see what I meant. Blame the img-host. Let mek now, if there is a better solution for uploading pictures.

Fed-Kun's army
@Qelix I'd certainly in for something like nico nico manga's. Even better if the comments can be assigned with whoever user that comment it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Let's not splinter conversation even further, our comment sections are already pretty small as it is.

Also yeah this is basically on the same level as tsukkomis.

@Qelix posted:

Let mek now, if there is a better solution for uploading pictures.

imgur.com

VIP
@Qelix This suggested feature sounds pretty similar too how most SGF readers display comments for Go games. Sites like OGS show all of the comments together in the sidebar (example game). However, most SGF readers usually only display the comments associated with the current move, which is sort of similar to this suggestion (example game).

Compare also Soundcloud comments, which displays all the comments together, but also associates a timestamp to each comment (example).

I personally wouldn't want comments to be visible in the sidebar though, because then I'd be tempted to read the comments before I've read the chapter, and then I'd just spoil myself :p

Also, Nico Nico Manga's scrolling comments thing looks suuuuuper distracting.

I usually read through the entire chapter first before looking at the comments. It's probably possible to implement something like per-page comments by associating each comment with a specific page, sort of like with Soundcloud, and then using a filter in the inline comments UI to select only the comments for the current page (the normal forum view of the comments would still show all the comments together). But that might encourage users to post a bunch of low-effort one-liner comments for multiple pages. I'd rather people read the entire chapter and collect their impressions into one comment. I think this raises the general quality of discussion. The forum way™ is usually just to quote the content that you're responding to, so if you want to respond to specific page, just include a screenshot of the panel/panels in question.

See also: #5329, which suggests having comments inline rather than on a separate page. I generally would prefer to keep comments on a separate page.

Tsukkomis were discussed in this thread: #24882: Any plans for Tsukkomi support?

Dex-chan lover
I wasn't aware that "tsukkomi" is a term used for that kind of feature, therefore I had a 0.67% probability to find that thread in the megathread. (2.8% chance for me starting to read all of those sub-threads on an off chance, that feature might hide somewhere there, and a 24% chance, I continue till that point.)

So we can close this thread here, but before we do that, I would like to ask for a favour. Could someone rename the "Any plans for Tsukkomi support?"-tread? Something like "Any plans for Tsukkomi/comments per page support?" or something along the line.

EDIT: Wait a second. I want to verify something, before closing this issue. Are tsukkomis the "feature" to clutter your comments all over the manga strip itself? Total madness. I can see why this would be rejected. I see the fun in it, but I also see the cancer! That is worlds apart from just a little innocent comment section in the sidebar (long reader) or underneath the panels in single and double page modes.

Dex-chan lover
I this case, I still suggest a plain comment area as it has been described above. I don't know how big the interest for such a feature is, as other users might prefer a tsukkomi, but it would add entertaining value.

The only real problem I see, is how to implement it. chapter comment sections are a simple thread in the forum. One thread per chapter. Creating one thread per page sounds unpracticable. Some other (simple) way would have to be found.

I was under the impression that the idea was rejected because of the spirit of the concept, not its letter. PM overlords i guess - in my opinion is basically the same thing as tsukkomis.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@mikegnesium posted:

in my opinion is basically the same thing as tsukkomis.
Yep, and like I said, I don't see benefit in splintering the discussion even further than it currently is.

Users who are viewing this thread