Need LGBT appropriate tags :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggest we have tags for romance/hentai targeted towards the sex depicted in same sex manga,

Currently the tags available are for genres that are intended to be read by heterosexuals or the sex opposite of the featured same sex couple. This can be a huge dis-service to those interested in the same sex as these generally tend to publish works that the opposite sex would enjoy not the same sex. Sure they can be read and enjoyed by those actually seek same sex romance of the same sex but most are really cringe and its like wading through a sea of trash. Yaoi is targeted for women and Yuri is targeted to men they are also normally wrote by the sex of their target audience. It would be like if you had no tag for shonen or shoujo to differentiate but 90% to 95% of the works were target towards girls and made by girls. The guys would definitely start having a hard time finding something to read so would any girl that prefers shounen. Also most a ton of yaoi/yuri is doujin which tends to be lower quality than most which makes it even harder on LGBT people.

Not Sure what to do for female Same sex with a female target audiance but Male target same sex is called Bara or Gei Komi.

It also makes it really hard for people that like the same sex to find good material to read, while some romances are decent in representing same sex couple alot of them are just used as bait for heterosexuals and are nowhere near realistic to what those who like the same sex would act or experience.

I understand there may not be a demand for this but I believe that it would help, I mean honestly we need these more mainstream cause even "progressive" business Platforms like wbtns labels all kinds of material LGBT when its really Yaoi/Yuri with a few exceptions.

Double-page supporter

Be advised:
reading and/or participating in this thread can cause a severe case of brain worms.​

wP5WwqL.gif

Easy

+1​

Dex-chan lover
you should've attach a poll in this thread and call your LGBT community to vote here.
well, they can always write +1 here.

@hazzack
Unfortunately Polls normally attract more anti LGBT sentiment since its easier to just vote against then type your opinion. I cannot think of a perfect way to poll it yet. Honestly its just my experience from being on forums that when you make an LGBT post it gets flamed and trolled, by people who dont want to contribute to the topic but just want to mock and be anti-lgbt...

You're right that there is no demand for this so I'm against it, why fix what isn't broken, why not read the first few chapters find it whether its your cup of tea or not and move on like all other manga.

Frankly the cover art and synopsis does a lot more to cover my first impression than tags ever will.

Double-page supporter
this guy @ShadowofOblivion really saying "no I don;t want to hear the popular opinion, because I already know people don't want what I'm suggesting" LOL. I doubt it'd be brigaded anyways cause this site requires accounts.

Also there's hardly any utility in adding tags for your fringe fetishes that'll be used on like 5 manga, and be forgotten about for the other 5 cause of it's fringe nature. Most of all, I feel bad for the mod that has to read all that to categorize it for your non-normative perversions (also why I'm not asking for tags for normative ones to exist).

@nepuserreader except that with other genres, I can sort to a category that actual has things I generally want to read. With yaoi I have to 4,692 titles that 90% off arent targeting me. Its also not just a matter of artwork. Yaoi tends to have stories that just aren't at all made to be consumed by men. Also your telling me to wade through 4692 titles and read a couple chapters even if I sort that down farther its not going to work thats completely unfair.

Life isnt fair. Period.
If you want subtags and more specific tags, goto mangaupdates -.-

@ShadowofOblivion No I don't expect you to read that, however 1/10 mangas is pretty easy to skim through to find what you like. I mean out of all the seasonal animes I watch, out of all the mangas I read, 1/10 seems like a decent sticking point to me. So again, it isn't broken. Stuff that clicks with you isn't always going to be perfect, and that's ok. That's the same with everyone anyways. Still against changes with what works btw, which is the current yuri, yaoi and whatever tags exist.

Saying LGBT Material is fringe is ridiculous... And I have been on forums where they require accounts like the overwatch forum and they get taken over by non-lgbt people telling lgbt people to shut up that they have no problem or just being out right discriminatory. Even ones where its as simple as Lore based conversation get slammed.

"non-normative perversions " Yaoi can litteraly not even include sex, so unless your saying that my tags shouldnt matter cause they arent heterosexual and thats what makes them perverse then please stop...

Dex-chan lover
I couldn't quite figure out what exactly OP found lacking with "shounen ai / shoujo ai / yaoi / yuri" that he made this topic.
In fact, this reminds of those "omega" tag requests, in that I don't understand the need for further subdivision here on MangaDex.

@Nepuserreader, Except I am trying to say it doesn't work. There is literraly no real LGBT tags because 90% cater to heterosexuals. Imagine going through The shounen tag and finding only Shoujo. I am also being generous because unfortunately there really isnt even 10% of male target same sex manga or even featuring same sex characters written for men.

Also there are 6,759 titles titles for shoujo and 6,571 titles for shounen. So based on your logic where its ok to have to sort through 9 manga to find one you MAY like it should be ok to just combine the shoujo and shounen tag to children since they would only have to wade through a 50/50 that would mean looking through almost every other one only versus 9/10.

I am sorry I dont actually know how to tag you Nepuserreader...

@ShadowofOblivion Well here's the thing, I read yuri on dynasty scans, I like my yuri to be rather explicit, I want hot action. I can tell you that 90% of yuri works don't do that. For those that do, for some reason or another I might just not like it, Oh well, still not gonna support changing it, who knows, maybe a shift in my mood may make me like what I read even if I'm not getting steamy action.

Of course I don't mind removing 90% of works I'm "interested" in after giving it a few looks. I mean this is entertainment not recommended to me by anyone. I'm just browsing around. If I was talking to a connoisseur of said genres, I'd expect them to be 50/50. I don't expect tags to be anything but general. There is sypnosis and cover art just to be just that quicker at rejecting works. Tags should not be doing that.

Nice pic @Comeonnow0, well its very simple like I stated its like wading through a sea of titles that aren't actually what you are looking for. Unfortunately I dont like the idea of having to sub-divide it either. There is just way more Yaoi target to women so what actual men want to read gets drowned out.

Don't get me wrong there are some great Yaoi that have decent story, non-stereotypical men and slightly more realistic relationships interactions. Take Natsume Isaku works, sure her art style is pretty feminine men and sometimes there are un-realistic portrayals but its not awefull and it could probably be enjoyed by both your typical female yaoi fan and Men who like men.

@nepuserreader not sure about dynasty scans since I haven't been on their site but, the thing is we have tags on this site to differentiate between differing levels of ludeness so you could actually sort that if you wanted to to find explicit yuri on this site.

Dex-chan lover
@ShadowofOblivion
My dude, you're comparing shoujo/shounen (two of the largest genres) to a niche genre within a niche genre.
I totally get that wading through 90% not-even-close-to-what-you're-looking-for stuff is tedious, but I think the real problem is that there's not nearly enough of stuff to your taste out there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread