"Controversial Themes" as a Content Tag

Dex-chan lover
There's a lot of good or even great manga like Boy's Abyss, Suicide Boy, or Kimi ni Aisarete Itakatta that have relatively low scores, yet I feel have really good and deep aspects to their plots and characterization.

Having a tag to group these mangas together or so that people who don't want to see it can just block it out would be helpful, so that certain manga get recognition, whilst not so immediately lowered by people who don't want to see it.

It may seem redundant because of the "Gore," "Sexual Violence," and "Smut" tags, but the difference would be a focus on tone, usually not focusing so much on comedy, though the occasional one might slip through like with Suicide boy, and how certain events or plot points are used to characterize the events in question.

Thoughts?

Dex-chan lover
If this were to be implemented, I'd say that "Controversial" could be misinterpreted, and is also more subjective a word than you would want for a tag like this. I think more appropriate names would be things like "Heavy" or "Depressing" (or something else you can find in a thesaurus), or maybe even "Tragedy" (lel).

But in my opinion, the Tragedy tag already does a decent job of encompassing these sorts of themes.

Thoughts?

Double-page supporter
I think it's too vague and overarching.

It may seem redundant because of the "Gore," "Sexual Violence," and "Smut" tags
These tags by themselves, sure. But when there's "tragedy" and "drama" next to it?

Dex-chan lover
I agree it's too vague to actually have a chance and if by some miracle it managed to get approved as is I can already hear people bitching complaining about it nonetheless
if you can give it a more concrete standing id throw in my lot behind ya.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I thought "controversial" just is rather innocuous by itself, because it just implies that there is some divisiveness on the subject, rather than a value judgement per se

Maybe "explicit themes" would work better?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I think "Sensitive themes" would be a better word. Along with the gore, drama and tragedy tags, one can easily see the theme of the title.

Dex-chan lover
>actual trigger warnings on mangadex
obligatory wheeeeezeee
tenor.gif

As for the name of the tag, maybe "Ticklish" or "Not for Little-Butt-Babies" would work.

EDIT: AbyssalMonkey's reply to that thread is absolute gold:
Fucking everyone wants their own personal safe space.

Hard no from me. Not only would there be an infinite amount of tags for who fucking knows what, they would also effectively be spoilers for the story. Gore and sexual violence already exist. If someone gets triggered by a dog dying, that's on them for not reading a review.

People seriously need to get a backbone and deal with life. PTSD is an actual thing which too many people who get anxious over the stupidest fucking shit try and adopt or self diagnose on to theirselves. Stories can't use anything real or terrorizing for effect now because of a few loud asses who can't come face to face with their own issues and instead whine that they got "triggered". Fuck those people.

Staff
Super Moderator
lol you made remember this gem.
Lmao

As for the name of the tag, maybe "Ticklish" or "Not for Little-Butt-Babies" would work.
[ul]Can i read daddy?
Don't trigger me.
Bring 'em on!
Read or leave[/ul]

Dex-chan lover
I expected better from you; where's the WallTextTM?
Quite possible that he's writing it now. Those things do take time, of course. I would be more than willing to read how philosophy is related to the psychological ramifications of reading poorly tagged manga, though.

Staff
Super Moderator
@justforthelulz
If Tamerlane unleashed his true power 「WallOfText」us weak minded individuals would not be able to generate arguments since our minds would have been blown.

Staff
Super Moderator
Don't you fucking dare to insult Tamerlane. He's a scholar and enjoys scholarly pursuits.
TAMERLANE DIED OF A COOOOLDD, HE GOT WET ON THE RAIN AND DIED OF A FEVER WITH NO ANIME WAIFU TO HEAL HIM! WHAT A LOOSAH

Dex-chan lover
Don't you fucking dare to insult Tamerlane. He's a scholar and enjoys scholarly pursuits.
No insulting, just poking fun at. If I wanted to insult him, I'd mention the fact that he still doesn't know how to tie his shoes (he doesn't btw, he mentioned it in a DM just take my word for it) or call him offensive names like Tamerlame, Tamerbirdbrain, or Tamerdiedbecauseofrain

Dex-chan lover
I'm more on a middle ground kind of place. I think that such topics should be notified to potential readers, but that making a tag for that would be too broad and unwieldy to properly be of any use.

Instead, putting content warnings in the description before the text. Of if you're into invasive methods, a pop-up of sorts to make the readers know if they have sensitive themes. Or properly do descriptions, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread