Scanlater status

Contributor
Add a scanlater status line with the following codes: ongoing, stalled, dropped, completed. Ongoing and completed would be the most commonly used statuses. The other two would only be used if the scanlater him/herself indicates as such.

Reason, looking at the cover info page, I can't tell if it is still being scanlated or not.

Contributor
Hmm. Being ignored. I thought this would be a good idea. All other reader sites have it, but this one does not.

Ongoing or completed don't really add anything you couldn't already figure out at a glance, stalled and dropped may have been helpful but that information is difficult to get a hold of a lot of the time.

Miku best girl
Admin
It's hard to do because what if there are multiple scanlators working on a title?

Contributor
@Nisverah: That's just it. I can't tell at a glance if the manga is still being scanlated. I have to go to MangaUpdates or another reading site to find out. That's just a click too many. Right now, if the cove image has the latest volume image, I can usually tell by that. However, if the scanlation stops in the middle of the volume, that no longer works.

Most of the time you can tell if it is dropped, the scanlator usually puts that as a page in the last chapter scanlated (but not always). Stalled is harder to determine, but again, like dropped, the scanlator has a page mentioning that they are out of raws or going on to a different project before coming back to it. If the scanlator becomes inactive (see MangaUpdates for that), then you can treat it as being stalled.

P.S. As I have been going through my reading list, I've noticed that a lot of uploaders put the scanlation status in the Pub. Status field. I've been fixing only those on my reading list.

@Holo: Multiple scanlators? Easy. Mark it as ongoing.

I think the point that he was trying to make with multiple scanlators is that this site hosts other languages that could be active even if your selected language is not.

Contributor
@TalesForgotten: Didn't think of that. If that's the case, then have the Scan Status be a drop down box for the language and the Scan Status field for the actual status for that language.

As I said before, I have no idea if a manga is still being scanlated without going to MangaUpdates. We need an easy way to show that.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
This would mean that we'd have to implement a separate "scanlation status" field for each group for each manga they scanlate and it's going to lead to really weird looking statuses in some cases. One example would be where the manga was dropped by one group and picked up by another multiple times, and as a result not a single group actually "completed" the manga even though the full manga has been scanlated.

@astromath posted:

Multiple scanlators? Easy. Mark it as ongoing.

As a quick example, Bleach would have to be marked as either ongoing or dropped depending on the group, even though none of them have any plans to continue as the manga itself is completed in English. And if we imagine a scenario where some new group suddenly decides to redo the entire series in higher quality, even if we had only a single scanlation status field per language, we'd have to change that back to ongoing for Bleach, a manga that has been completed for years.

All this also means is that we would have to start keeping track of this stuff manually which is going to lead to false and outdated results eventually anyway, and thus make the matter you're trying to solve actually even worse. We could have a dropped title marked as ongoing because not a single person so much as loaded at that page in the past year. A scanlation group might not communicate their plans to continue, hold or drop any given series they've been working on.

@astromath posted:

As I said before, I have no idea if a manga is still being scanlated without going to MangaUpdates. We need an easy way to show that.
All in all, essentially the only thing this would solve is making someone else do this exact work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread