Isekai Meikyuu de Harem o - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Roxanne 2

Didn't he sell the the thief for 30k? And women were supposed to be double the price.. How is it 20x more?! Where's the logic in that?

Edit: it seems to be more of a general bump by a factor of 10. Seriously... These inconsistencies in all of these stories are frustrating.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, that slave trader was a true pro. He could read the MC like an open book. He knew what he was doing, unlike the MC.

@DonGiovanni Haha, what are you talking about? The MC sold the thief for 30k, but the slave trader will sell him for more than 100k. That's how business works. A young, beautiful maiden of good behavior would obviously be a lot more expensive than a random slave. Just like a sports car is far more expensive than an everyday Ford.

Fed-Kun's army
Holy crap I have respect for the slave trader, he persuaded the MC into deciding to purchase the slave and then helped him get and save money so he could pay him for the slave. Killing two birds with one stone, making himself likable and making money

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme
@GrimThoughts

The MC forgot to pick up a skill that allowed him to tell when someone was hard-selling him.

As soon as the trader recommended Roxanne last chapter (after deliberately having her serve tea), the MC probably should have realized he was about to get had. Honestly, it's kind of nice to see an MC thinking with his dick, when other people take ruthless advantage of him for it. (I wonder if a level 44 Slave Trader gets any skills that help out in negotiations like these, or if the guy's just good at his job.)

Dex-chan lover
@EaterOfBooks He indeed was totally at the slave trader's mercy, but on the other hand buying (or deciding to buy) something you need is not a bad thing, even if it seems like you only did it because there was an excellent salesman. Of course it's a totally different thing if it's something useless.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme

I'm not entirely sure he really needed Roxanne, but the trader (and the fact that she's hot and has fluffy ears) completely convinced him he did.

The MC would have been set for cash for a while from his initial bounties, then could have done solo runs in the labyrinth, picked up a couple of bounties on bandits, moved on to another town before other bandits started targeting him, and then done the same thing all over again. Rinse and repeat.

Honestly, it's the fact that the MC didn't need to make the purchase that actually sells this part of the story - it's not one more "you've got to save the world!", "I showed up in another world and saved/met a girl, so now I guess I'm doing this 'hero' thing?", or a "summoned to another world by jerks, betrayed by everybody I trusted - well, shit" plot. He got persuaded into something, bought the whole deal hook, line, and sinker (not really a bad deal, all things, particularly fluffy tails, considered), and decided that was his short-term goal. Then started working at it.

It feels like he made a real decision, instead of many stories of this kind which feel like "BUT THOU MUST!" JRPG plots, "I'm a monster and must endlessly levelgrind until nobody will dare fuck with me", "somehow bitches keep falling into my lap", or "hmm. Guess I'll just fuck around as a farmer or shopkeeper and lead the slow life" stories. Not that there's anything wrong with the types I've mentioned, but it feels like this dude has agency, instead of just kinda being at the mercy of the plot.

Dex-chan lover
@EaterOfBooks It's easier to work hard if you have a clear goal to look forward to. You also learn much better if you are motivated. The salesman wasn't really lying when he explained the positive sides of owning a slave, especially one suited for combat. Of course it's from his pov, being a natural denizen of that world. A modern Western person might have lots of reservations concerning slaves, but based on all the isekai I've read, it seems like the Japanese find the idea of having slaves much more attractive.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme

I guess that's what I'm getting at - this MC seems like he chose his goal (or was believably persuaded into it by another character), rather than getting one forced on him by the plot.

A modern Western person might have lots of reservations concerning slaves

The MC here even had some, but he basically decided to go "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" after he started killing people, and (as the background panels make quite clear), he gave his other head the deciding votes on this one.

(And, more to your point, just look at the Gor books.)

based on all the isekai I've read, it seems like the Japanese find the idea of having slaves much more attractive.

Based on most of the shoujo, josei, and western bodice rippers (up to stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey) I've read, it seems like their female audiences find the idea of being in a relationship with an emotionally-manipulative man who always seems on the verge of threatening physical harm extremely attractive.

I'd take both of those ideas with several shakes of salt - these things may be fantasies, but not necessarily what most people in a culture/demographic really want or consider acceptable in any serious fashion.

Dex-chan lover
@EaterOfBooks Who knows. It was just an offhand remark to try to find a reason for the MC getting persuaded so easily. Although that being said, like some lesser cousins of Harry Potter, these isekai series, the vast bulk of them, are carefully designed to cater to the intended audience. If that intended audience wasn't very receptive to the idea of possessing beautiful female slaves who never cause any problems, you wouldn't see them in so many of the series. In the worst of them, free women are practically demanding the MC to make them slaves.

Dex-chan lover
The MC spent alot of time weighing morals w/ his ego but didn't once doubt the dealer when he decided to buy. He immediately settled for the recommended with out even considering his other options.

This slave merchant really knows his stuff.

It's funny just how all of us can tell the slave merchant is a crafty guy... hopefully the MC realized this soon too.

Dex-chan lover
I think the slave trader is certainly playing the MC like a fiddle here, but at least I don't get the impression he's trying to rip him off or anything (at least any more than any merchant rips their customers off, if they weren't making profits they wouldn't be in business). This is a potential repeat customer we're talking about, and all.

Double-page supporter
I don't like how tge morals of the MC bend like paper when something arises, he even said that in that world where slavery is a common thing thinking of peaople as equals was tiring.
This isn't really an abnormal reactional from him, but that doesn't justify anything

Dex-chan lover
Even rereading this, I'm impressed by how well the author had written the slave trader. I wonder if the author has some experience from car dealership or equivalent business.

That guy is kinda sus ngl. I like the story so far though. I don't really have anything to compare it to so some might think otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread