Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan - Ch. 45 - Sous-vide

Dex-chan lover
Ah my nemesis, sous vide, we meet in a different media. Some might desire the tenderness cooked meat attains from it but it comes across (to me) as uniform mush, no interesting texture gradiation (post sear does helps marginally). Don't even get me started on the time needed and pre/post prep.

Dex-chan lover
Disappointed that she didn't sear it. Help give it more flavor and a "proper" color that isn't off-putting.

Fed-Kun's army
@JumboWheat01: Sachi is normally really good at taking pictures. I suspect there must be more settings on that camera than she's used to. She may have had it on a slow shutter-speed.

Dex-chan lover
Most people don't just sous-vide. The method helps maintain flavor and texture while cooking through, but is usually followed by a quick grill on high heat and some oil, to add some searing.

The crunchy and crisp outside, followed by a tender and explosive inside is what makes sous-vide an extremely popular method in cooking meats.

Contributor
"So lessdouet"

"I know they don't look too good right now, but just watch."

I was under the impression most people sear sous-vide meat before serving. Is the soft texture maybe more desirable in Japan or something?

Dex-chan lover
That cover page is so damn cute. Also the way she sparkles looking at the kitchen appliances.

Dex-chan lover
Ayari should not have eaten her father before he had taught her as much as he knew about food preparation.

I do not see the point of that device. The same can be done with a pot or a pressure-pot on very low heat. If she were to put the ingredients on the bottom it would make a bit of sense even though there is ways to achieve the same even that way, but floating on a bag, makes the device mostly unnecessary.
There will be some differences using the sous-vide, but they are close to none.

EDIT: Oh, ok, it automates the process making easier to regulate the temperature, which is its usefulness.

The sous vide circulator illustrated in this chapter is the first gen Anova Precision Cooker, which is what made the technique accessible to at home cooks. Pretty cool stuff.
@Abetillo As someone who's tried to precision cook proteins both before and after buying this device, I have to disagree. The ability to keep the water at the exact temperature required for the protein to cook is something that doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but actually is. Even on a very low heat, unless you're constantly standing over the pot and monitoring temp. for the hours it would take for a piece of meat to cook through, you're bound to overcook the meat. With this, you can set it and forget it, come back to a piece of meat that's perfectly cooked through at the desired doneness, then sear and serve.

Edit: That's not to say that it's required, especially for home cooks. For example, the technique of reverse searing a steak is almost as good, and doesn't require you to buy a whole new device.

Dex-chan lover
Everyone's asking why Ayari didn't sear it too, but she probably wants to try a meal used with just this thing she specifically saved up for to see how it comes out, no? The next time she uses it, maybe she'll add in the searing step and compare the results, check for preferences of those eating both ways and such.

Sous-vide is extremely useful for western food restaurant, it's really easy and reliable way to get consistent steak doneness, even with an inexperience chef.

Aggregator gang
@Abetillo There's also the part that the water circulation caused by these units helps maintain an even temperature rather than having hotter water in one spot and cooler water in another causing uneven cooking. It's not necessary but does help. It's possible to just set water temperature via low heat or oven, or even hot water into a large cooler to maintain the temperature. The main thing is the precision, since you may want to cook a steak to 130 this way so that it's rare, but not cook it past this. And you don't want to go under this due to food safety. Also, when cooking sousvide, you want to remove the air from the bag to prevent floating, though there are some methods used to prevent floation for lighter ingredients.
Prior to my Anova, I used a crockpot and a temperature probe with a target of 138 or so, so the temperature variation wasn't an issue for me, but if I'm going to spend money on prime rib, then I want to make sure I get the temperature right.

The characters did comment that it looked like clay, so like everyone else, I do hope it's revisited with the sear afterwards.

There's lots of information out there on the Anova website, Chefsteps website, Serious Eats website https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html and https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html and more

Users who are viewing this thread