Graph to view the change in manga rating over time?

Contributor
I recently thought up of this while reading Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, a manga whose rating had a dramatic increase over the past two months. (Once in the 7 range less than 2 months ago, it’s now sitting at 8.75 and may very well break the 9.00 barrier). Yet the nature of how the series begins will inevitably drive many people away from reading it at first and wondering why it’s scored so high.

Often times a rating by itself won’t tell you the whole story, so my suggestion is a graph that shows the progression of a manga’s rating over certain periods of time. That way, one can get a better sense of the general reception of a manga both during and after new chapters are released.

Examples: If a manga starts off low and then gradually rises over time, then one may assume that it gets better over time. If there’s a gradual falloff recently after some stability, then the manga probably isn’t going in a good direction. If there’s big spikes or drops, then either something really good/bad happened, or there might be some form of tampering going on. Who knows?

I think that this can help readers make more informed decisions more quickly if implemented properly.

I think its a very interesting idea, but i dont know how would be implemented.
That aside, we have the issue of the popularity and the the hype of certains moments or arcs that usually make the manga rating increaze like there is no ceiling. Which im my opinion is pretty unfair, becuase i think you should look at the full work to give a score. So your idea will be a good way for seeing how this moments afect at the overall score of one maga. And to see if a manga get better or gets worse in time.
The popularity its a more difficult subject, because popular works will have a high rating nontheless, only because they are popular and have an army of fans to defend the manga. (Ehm, One Pice, Ehem). (Yeah I dont like One Piece, come at me bros).(Please dont kill me).
Personal opinion and jokes aside, yeah I think its a solid idea.

Group Leader
Seems like a neat idea, it would certainly be interesting to see something like that; don't know how easy it'd be to implement it tho

If not a graph, then some sort of number with a green or red arrow next to it (indicating increase or decrease in ratings) with certain periods of time (day, week, month, etc.) would be alright

Dex-chan lover
I also like this idea but it seems to be more of a pain in the ass to implement than it's worth.

Miku best girl
Admin
AbyssalMonkey is correct, while we store all votes, we don't store a timestamp with it, so we wouldn't be able to provide historical charts, only charts going forwards from the point of implementation.

Perhaps if more people voted, it might be worth the time to do it. I mean, look at Solo Leveling - out of 96k people following, only 15k bothered to vote!

Old thread, I know, sorry, just liked the idea and it reminded me how on Naver people can rate each chapter on 1-10 scale. It's not a graph like OP suggested but one could still see how the story develops. And I'd guess that MD wouldn't need to save timestamps for the votes.

The ratings of the chapters could then be summarized in a graph (x= chapter & y=rating).
The overall rating for the series could be calculated from the chapter rating (=average).

No idea how hard it would be to introduce this...

reu

Dex-chan lover
@AbyssalMonkey
Around 15 to 5% of people rate, based on number of follows
1 in 10 people isn't "nobody" when we're talking about totals that range from 1000 to 100000

Users who are viewing this thread