Series Clutter

I recently noticed a lot of new and low quality submissions pop up, with ratings as poor as 1.9. As mangadex is a fresh site, it may be considerate to the image servers to filter series that drop below the 4.0 mark and have not received an update over 6 months. Not necessarily those numbers, but just as an example of how the concept would work. It is possible that the clutter can also spread the scan groups to thin as well as overflowing the site with stuff no one wants to read.

The only problem i could see facing is that what if someone deliberately assaults a series with unwarranted poor reviews and the series rests in antiquity as a result. The counter option would then have to be that before that 'x' date of being shifted over into filterable territory there would have to be an additional module added to the front page or something that gives these series a fighting chance to get their review score raised by featuring them.

Or something idk i'm just a voice on the interwebs and it's probably harder to code that and still be mindful of the new UI

Contributor
I'm confused. Are you suggesting having them be hidden from view by default...?

Because I have no idea why anyone would want that. (Random series disappearing from view?)

Having a search filter for "only series above a certain rating" would make sense, but...

There are in fact a lot of problems with this. Even if we ignore the fact that it would be virtually impossible to stop people from just re-uploading whatever is "filtered", making the clutter even worse.
Also, even whats trash to most can, and will, be dear to someone.
Firstly, there are a lot of niche titles with a rating of 0, simply because nobody has bothered rating them, but that can be fairly easily addressed by excluding them from such cullings.
edit: I checked, and almost 10,000 titles have a rating of zero, and there are less then 1000 with a rating between 1 and 5.0, so the effect would really be marginal anyways,
Secondly, the ten star rating system doesn't even approach validity or fulfilling any other standard by which rating scales are evaluated. So basing any kind of culling algorithm on it is problematic.
Furthermore, outside factors like the quality of the scans and translation can influence the score, so a series which started out with a bad translator would be culled and not given a chance to be picked up by a better one. Not to mention the people who give bad scores because the story wasn't what they expected and leave a terrible score on a decent work out of spite. *cough*yaoi-haters*cough*
The issue of review-bombing that @azuremirage mentions is also there, of course
As for scanlation groups being spread thin, I don't think that has anything to do with this; As I understand it, they mostly scanlate either what they want (or have access to) or what enough people requested they do.

@burlap preach brother
Idk I feel like if we're weighing making certain series inaccessible vs. Decluttering, having things available is most important. A lot of people (me included) have soft spots for shitty manga and a lot of times the ratings on here are way lower than what I'd expect from things.
Plus having works culled would probably wind up unfair to scan groups, possibly forcing them to put together their own sites and whatnot, generally creating an all-around inconvenience for both them and readers alike.

It's also not gonna help the image servers. If bad series are filtered, people will just move on to different series. The only way it would be "helping" is if it actually resulted in reduced site usage, which really can't be what anyone is trying to achieve here.

Users who are viewing this thread