I propose to get rid of LATAM spanish

Dex-chan lover
The thing is, there is no such thing as a Latin American spanish. Chilean spanish is as different from Mexican spanish as it is from that used in Spain, and let's not even start with Argentina.

Maybe what people originally meant by Latam spanish is something akin to the "español neutro" used by many latin american tv programmes in order to export to other countries. Which avoids using any local colloquialisms to make it more undestandable by a wider audience. But the thing is, the spanish used in those cases is perfectly undestandable not just by latin americans, but also by spaniards.

Then there's the fact that unlike english which is some kind of wild child, spanish does have a governing body that regulates the language. "La real academia española de la lengua", which although has been criticized (with good reason) of being centered on Castilian spanish, has made efforts in recent years to be more inclusive and have latin american countries take a more active role.

So basically, what I mean to say is that it's all spanish, from Argentina to Mexico , to Guinea and Spain. I don't really care what flag you put on it, but it's better to have all of it under a single denomination.

Plus it confuses some apps.

TL;DR: why make this distinction at all? I don't see different tags for american and australian english.

Power Uploader
Us spanish and ya latinos write sentence pretty differently. There's a reason Cruncyroll's "Español Neutro" dub and sub got such a huge backslash. Is not that the words mean something different, is that the wording is so different it feels unnatural to both sides.

Contributor
Though the intricacies of the Spanish situation are unknown to me, and so I'm not sure how pertinent this food for thought is, but:

I will note that a lot of things (admittedly not mangadex) will distinguish between UK and US English even though there's much more variance in dialects within the UK than there is between the Queen's English (which is what UK English settings usually get you) and the entirety of American English.

So it would seem to me that such divisions often seem to be used to denote "something the mentioned group is used to" as opposed to "what everyone in the mentioned group actually speaks".

Miku best girl
Admin
The distinction Spanish (ES) and Spanish (LATAM) originated from AniDex, which initially only had Spanish (ES). The addition of LATAM was actually requested. I didn't see any reason why not to add it, as we also distinguish between Portuguese (PT) and (BR).

Users who are viewing this thread