Long strip frequently freezes my browser

Long strip when trying to open a chapter frequently freezes my browser. I first thought it was my browser that caused this but after switching browsers and changing settings a few times I realized this exclusively happens when I read in long strip format.

I am getting this as well. I opened Task Manager to find that one of my Firefox tabs was using over 4GB of RAM. So it seems that occasionally when you open a long strip chapter it will cause a memory leak (or similar). I've temporarily solved this by keeping task manager open to the side and watching for when this happens and killing the tab process before it freezes my computer. First time it happened I couldn't do anything and had to hard reset my laptop.

Seconding DeXenonBloom.

In my case though, it only seems to happen when I try to move to the next chapter - using either the chapter dropdown or little arrows next to the dropdown bricks it. Also, I remember there used to be a "button" to change chapters at the bottom of each long strip, and that seems to be gone now?

I got the same symptoms, did any of you check your RAM Usage ? Because since the change to the layout of the Chapters, or rather the displaying of them, after a few Chapters the RAM Usage spikes at 4-6 GB at least. Also another thing is that sometimes they just don't load the following pages... hope the team can manage to correct it in a few days or a week :=) but as a leecher i'm just as glad if it is done any time of your convenience.

cheers

EDIT: Dunno if any mod or person with sufficient administrative rights will read this, but here we go.

If it helps any it just happened again as i was reading Seirei Gensouki (https://mangadex.org/manga/21827/seirei-gensouki). Went from Chapter 7 to 8 and went from 700MB to 5621,5MB rather quickly, also it doesn't help any if you just close the tab. I don't have the necessary knowledge to further specify the issue, still hope it helps even if it's just a little ;).

My setup is as follow: Firefox Quantum Vers. 61.0.2 (64-Bit) - If any information for plugins is needed i can add them.
Settings for the READER:
QbVkRLQ.png

ZmAFJH1.png

Only things configured are "Hide Header" and Preloading 15 images/pages instead of the default of 3.

Aggregator gang
Experiencing the issue as soon as I use the next chapter button at the bottom and have to restart the browser. The issues doesn't occur when I use the navigation bars chapter controls.

Same here, been happening with any manga after opening any subsequent chapter (can open any chapter fine, then after using the reader to swap to a new one I have problems).

Dex-chan lover
And same here. I also noticed, as tatatarus,, that my browser ate up all off my computers memory. Looks just like a memory leak. I also noticed, that it seemingly happened after I read a few chapters.

Your new viewer engine is heavily based on Java Script. Could it be, that the script loads images, but doesn't dereference not needed instances, holding onto those pictures, so the garbage collector won't remove them and they just stay in memory? Maybe the autoload method, that loads images at the bottom of a page, keeps loading images.

Miku best girl
Admin
Thanks for reporting this, will most likely be fixed in the next update (probably tomorrow)

Could it be, that the script loads images, but doesn't dereference not needed instances, holding onto those pictures, so the garbage collector won't remove them and they just stay in memory?

Highly doubt it. I've observed firefox memory consumption and it just suddenly shots up from 700mb to 2gb, then a few minutes later 4gb, then browser starts to freeze.

PS: Buffering of long strip only starts when I reach the end of the pre loaded images. I hope it will start buffering after an image is out of viewport.

Miku best girl
Admin
Please confirm whether the latest update to the reader fixed this issue

Fed-Kun's army
reader feels very unreliable since the major update

Dex-chan lover
Porg said:
reader feels very unreliable since the major update
They are still working on it. Some bugfixes create new bugs. My guess is it will stabilize soon.

OnTopic: So far so no-new-heart-apart-ripping-,-shitstorm-inducing-crashes. Looking good here.

Users who are viewing this thread