What Year or Age you all started reading Manga or watch Anime?

I mostly started reading manga during my elementary days even though i started to watch anime in high school years basically anime & manga was apart of my childhood aside from videogames well no one from my school or classmates know that i am a weeb tho

Fed-Kun's army
I watched a lot of anime movies (animovies?) starting with Princess Mononoke when I was 5. I began watching anime shows consistently starting with Death Note when I was 14, which was also when I read my first two manga, which started with Monster and Beelzebub. I dropped anime and started reading manga every day when I was 17 starting with Tokyo Ghoul. I started reading manga less six months ago when I was 19 and have since been writing a lot more fiction and poetry, as well as reading more books, a couple hundred of which I had read between the ages of 10 and 14.

Dex-chan lover
Beginning of highschool, I had a lot of free time and a friend of mine recommended me some anime (I had seen some before, the usuals like Chobits, Elfen Lied, Gantz and stuff that people recommended in the 00s) and so I began watching whenever I had free time, I started reading manga about half a year after that

Dex-chan lover
Mine's a bit of a downer. I've watched or read the occasional anime or manga throughout my life, probably starting with shows like Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball Z on Toonami in the 90s. I wasn't a huge fan, but still enjoyed them. Then about 5 years ago, my two dogs died a couple months apart, and I was an absolute wreck. So, one day I happened to be looking at Anime on Amazon, and was just like, "you know, I'm just going to splurge on a huge pile of anime, and watch them back to back"; which I actually ended up really enjoying. Shortly after anime surpassed video games as my favorite hobby.

Double-page supporter
Being conscious of what anime was? When I was 12, back in '98. But the first time I was truly exposed to it was in '93, when I was 7. Manga came later, since I was never able to read any until I had a stable Internet connection

Group Leader
I mean, I was watching pokemon really young, but I had no idea it was an "anime" at the time.
Inuyasha was the first anime I watched that I recognized as an anime lol. I was around 5th grade?

Dex-chan lover
My first anime was pokemon like a typical 90's kid. My first manga was berserk and that was back in late 06 early 07 I don't remember the exact date but it's around that time frame.

Aggregator gang
umm i've watch hamtaro, one piece and others every sunday since i was.... elementary school? well it's on tv so i kinda just watch it lol i forgot when it exactly started. As for manga i start reading around 11 i guess? that's when i curiously playing with internet and friend of my suggest me to open mangaf*x and boom, here i am. i also got a friend who bought lala mothly(?) and got to read good quality of romcom since young hoho

Read two volumes of detective conan my friend, who previously lived in japan, brought to school. I was nine then. I watched tons of shit on 4kids and other kids channels as early as 3.

When i was 'round 13, there was a late tv program that run anime. In the first year this program had: Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Iria: Zeiram the Animation and Fushigi Yuugi.
I don't remember what was first but those 4 were the first anime i've seen.

Dex-chan lover
When I was 5, my first anime was Doraemon on rental VCR tapes, after that was Sailor Moon, then Pokemon. Fun fact, even the adults who don't watch or don't like anime in my country know these 3 anime XD.

Well I've watched, read and play things from 'Doraemon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Yu Gi Oh, Naruto' and some other well known Japanese origin stuff since I was young. But I consider my first true manga and anime (that I read and watched voluntarily) was 'Mysterious Girlfriend X' (Nazo no Kanojo X), sometime around 2014. I was on the age of sexual awakening around that time, when I stumbled on the description of the anime, I got very interested so I searched and read the manga first then watch the anime. It was an entirely new territory for me, and the opening lines of the series summed up what I experienced at the time.

I believe my second and third anime was 'Attack on Titan' (Shingeki no Kyoujin) then 'Sword Art Online' by popular suggestion from my friends, they were also new to me, different than the other storytelling style I was used to. In manga I skipped the early chapters of AoT and jumped straight continuing season 1. I took a break from new Anime until around 2016 where 'And you thought there is never a girl online?' (NetoYome) and 'The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.' (Saiki Kusuo no PSI-nan) brought me back, and finally then anime became my new main source of entertainment surpassing cartoons. Many of the manga I start to read since then, started from watching the anime first.

I remember reading manga in third grade in a bookfair, where I bought 4 books which is Yu-Gi-Oh dueling legends official handbook( scholastic), night school the weirn books, skip beat, and vampire game by judal. So that must of been about 15 years ago in my elementary school years.
So yeah they are the first I have ever bought and read manga.

Fed-Kun's army
The first time I intentionally tried to follow the story of an anime (rather than just watching whatever was on tv at the moment) I was 14.
The first time I read manga was a year or two after that.
The first time I saw an actual physical manga was probably a year after that, because my brother's friend's brother had a volume of it.

Third year of college, so around age 21, I saw a few episodes of Inuyasha some friends were watching, and I had to have a copy of Do As Infinity's Fukai Mori, so I went to whatever had replaced Napster that particular year (2002). Watched Spirited Away as an extra activity for my Asian art history course senior year of college. After graduating, started checking out whatever Inuyasha I could find in the library-early anime discs with four episodes and old-school flipped and edited manga, and watch tv episodes whenever I could catch them. Visits around then with same old friends saw me watch Fruits Basket, and they loaned me the Petshop of Horrors manga. So back to the library off and on to fill in gaps; and while trying to find Inuyasha, saw random Toonami eps of Bleach and FMA. Got frustrated trying to figure out what the hell was going on in those episodes when I couldn't watch them in order, so back to the library. Bought used copies of Furuba and Petshop, then new as they came out. Eventually, maybe 2008?, found online manga (some barely searchable Linux-based site, but no ads to speak of) and caught up on Bleach, tried a few others-big on Clamp for awhile. It's snowballed from there.
Now, my earliest exposure to anime was cosplay at Sci-Fi cons in my teens. Namely, trying to avoid 'Sailor Fred'-the 30-something guy in the full sailor scout uniform with wand and yarn wig. I was an underage full-on Trekker in Spock ears, and the guy was kinda creepy. I did eventually read Sailor Moon much later; wasn't impressed.

I just started senior high, that’s when I started watching anime...1st was, I believe - sket dance, then k-on, naruto, fairy tail, shakugan no shana, etc.
I was just flipping the channels on TV when I stopped at animax(an anime channel), and viola!
It seemed funny, and worth my time, soon I got addicted, and well, you know the pattern!
Based on the anime I watched, I searched for a continuation online, only to find mangas and LNs.
I was interested in reading from beginning, so might as well ~ I thought... and here we are.
I’m glad I stumbled upon it! I could now, never imagine my life without it, this part and this alone, has given me so many life-lessons that weren’t taught in school. 😊

The first time I watched anime was probably in '85-86. Back then series like Astro Boy and Grendizer had just been translated in my country and were shown during TV's kids cartoon programs early saturday morning. The 4 years old me learned to read time on a clock in order not to miss it. Mind you, back then I had no idea where those came from; I just wanted to see robot beat the s**t out of each others...

I guess I was 14 when I finally realised that this specific style of animation that we now call anime came all the way from the land of the rising sun. A friend re-introduced me to anime and to manga. The Record of Lodoss War original OVAs were the first anime I consciously watched with that knowledge. On VHS rentals at that, lol...

I've kept with it to this day; after the friend who re-introduced me to it in high school died early of cancer, I considered it as a way to keep the time we had together 'alive'.
I guess it has that extra meaning for me. Some people do hard drugs or start drinking; I watched anime to cope with loss... Could have turned worst 🤨

Dex-chan lover
I started quite early, altough I didn't even know at that time.
Maya the Honey Bee, Vicky the Viking and Heidi, girl of the alps were all Anime and I watched those when my age was single digits.
Well, consciously, I did watch Anime in my Teens, starting with a german dub of Rozen Maiden

Fed-Kun's army
The first time I watched anime was in the 80's with Astroboy, Robotech (yes, I know the controversy), Voltron (Lion and Vehicle), Star Blazers, Captain Harlock, etc.
I'll be honest, I can't recall the first time I read manga since it was probably in my early years since I was into comics and stuff since I admired the drawings as an aspiring artist at the time. So I probably picked up one or two and don't recall them since they didn't make a giant impression on me in my early years. I do recall gaining interest in manga and more so in anime in my teenage years.

Users who are viewing this thread