Implement true rating. :rejected:

Ore

Dex-chan lover
(Rating - 5) * 2 = True Rating

Just saying.

Ore

Dex-chan lover
Is there anything below 5? But yeah, why not?

Titles with no user rating should remain at zero, though.

Double-page supporter
> (Rating - 5) * 2 = True Rating

WTF is this bullshit?

Ore

Dex-chan lover
> WTF is this bullshit?

Maths. You may have heard of them.

Dex-chan lover
I say, the rating as of now is fine as it is.
Also, IIRC some of the staff mentioned something like.. most users didn't really use the rating system anyway so... with all of that I didn't see the need of changing it as of now.

Also also, resulting the score as negatives is a bit...

Edit:
Also also also.. I can't help but reminded by this particular scene lol
https://youtu.be/Jpq3PIw-Rhs

Ore

Dex-chan lover
> OP doesn't know what bayesian statistics are, nor why they are used instead of actual flat ratings.

When your users bomb the foundation of the rating system you have to do something out of it. I honestly found that a manga with a score of 7.5 here is barely passable while an average score of 5 means it is absolute garbage.

Unless you already know that the rating system is pointless.

Dex-chan lover
...so literally instead of 0-10 this makes it (-10) to 10 and that's the only difference

This type of flat rating would just encourage and massive the effects of review bombs. Some people only give 10s or 1s

You can also open up the bar graph to see the mode or median of votes which is a bit better representation of the votes.

Dex-chan lover
I think OP is basing it based off of standard deviation, but he messed up a part of it.

σ=√Σ(χi-μ)2/N

Where
σ=Standard Deviation of the Population
N=Size of the population
xi=each individual score
μ=the average score

If μ=5 then the center of the distribution would be around 5 and it would be approximately normal. This is unlikely to actually happen because scores and ratings tend to be skewed. OP didn't really post the ideal way to measure this. Plus it wouldn't be that helpful because we already have graphs

Dex-chan lover
As i've said before in the past the rating system is fine as it is don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

not a big fan of ratings since there is no standards. What is a 7 to you may not be a 7 to me. If I were to make any change it would be to go to a 1-4 rating system.

Honestly, I'd like to see a good definition of each tag and if you could figure out a way to apply it to manga's. To me a romance or drama with the occasional bit of humor isn't a comedy, to me it requires a level of intent, the author intends for it be funny on a regular basis. Plus maybe a way to lock it down so you don't get random adding and deleting. That gamer manga for a little while bounced back and forth on have a cross dressing tag which bothered some people.

Power Uploader
COS((Rating - 5) * 2) = True Rating ....... FIXED. this should help give us a proper angle on the rating problem

Contributor
a35.png

At this rate, mangadex will go the way of youtube and implement a thumbs up/down rating system. /s

Contributor
To be fair, I perfectly understand where OP is coming from.

You see, guys, 5/10 rating is supposed to represent a "normal" "run-of-the-mill" title. Average, even. Meaning, if you somewhat enjoyed the manga, but didn't find anything special about it, then, objectively, it would be 5/10. Like a TV show: "how was it? It was all right." We're not even taking into account the fact that "enjoyment" is but a part of the overall score, others include things like "art," "story," "characters," "value," (which, arguably, is something one can score only with a lot of finished titles and a knowledge about the overall industry and it's history) and so forth.

What happens, though, and, actually, what has always been happening to any DB with a score system, is that most people rate a title 10/10 if they really liked it, rate it 1/10 if they hated it, even if it's just the ending that they didn't like, and don't even comprehend why is there anything below 5, basically never using 2-6 scores.
I think the only sole exception from this inherently dead system where people with no idea about objective criticism of artwork, none whatsoever analytical skills, and at best a few dozen finished titles at their back are given the ability to rate a work 1-10, is AniDB, which actually has a lot of things rated between 4-5, which is remarkably sane, considering the over-saturation of the market, abundance of fan service shows and the lack of talent in the industry. Can't say for MangaUpdates, though. They are fair, but the overall user count is so meager, that you can't really grasp the overall idea since even popular titles won't have more than a few hundred scores.

What I mean by this, OP, is that you're asking a community of people that don't even ever think about objectiveness, analysis and comparison, to give out fare scores. And you can hardly blame them, since most of otaku just watch fan-service shit, never bother much with even just seinen works, have never heard of LoGH, and think that Eva is the top that anime has to offer, actually not even getting a fraction of this title's message.

Just give up. ThatAnimeSnob couldn't enlighten this system. Why can you. Though, he's as much of an asshole as he is a great analyst.

Contributor
You know... I'm one of the many heathens that don't rate, but op suggesting (Rating - 5) * 2 = True Rating actually made me snicker

Dex-chan lover
Unpopular opinion: Log Horizon was overrated to me, it did really well in conveying a mmo as isekai and how mmo players would react compared Sao/trash tier reborn in a game. But I think it was just the competition in that genre(?) that was bad not that log horizon was particularly enjoyable whether in smoothness of animation/combat, plot progression (still better than most on this part I will concede), character designs/individuality.

But that's besides the point. This rating works well enough because of the fact that the majority of "ignorant masses" (too harsh tbh, if you enjoy it, you can enjoy something no matter if its a textbook on philosophy or rainbow unicorns on scooters if its what you like and expected from that genre/tag) understand what the scores mean. Yes its true that most don't use 2-4. But its not a major problem cause most quickly learn that the majority people actually use 7 as the average and that 10s/1s are over/underated. Rating are subjective! Unless you murder everyone else in the world and clone yourself you won't have a perfect rating system for you. But that's fine cause this is not one of the things that needs to be perfect. Its good enough

Contributor
@Teddy
...that the majority people actually use 7 as the average and that 10s/1s are over/underated.

You're almost correct, but you missed the part where 7 for them is nor 'average,' but 'minimum.' Average implies that something can be below it, and most of people aren't even close to comprehending rating something 6 when you personally disliked it, but you objectively has to nod to the character development, plausibility of plot, and artworks. It's insane for most people to give something a positive remark and at the same time noting "I hate it, to be honest."

But then again, that's why there are professional critics, and that's why they get paid. They get paid for just not being a blind self-centered goons. ...Actually, I personally wish I could just fucking score everything 10s like I did years and years ago. But meh, who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread