Fruits Basket Another

When I heard the news about new cast and settings, I'm happy. I really love Fruits Basket. It is one of best shoujo manga I've ever read.
But, I don't know how to react. I have a little problem with this.
I feel the generic pattern of shoujo. When compared with the prologue of previous series, very much different. You got the concept, the background, the feelings, the strong presence of every character. Everything is different. I just don't get the craving to see what happens next.

The heroine is being bullied. Then what? Then suddenly she becomes a princess who would be saved by two popular men at school, and her life will change when she knows their big secret?
But I can't see where the story will go. I wonder what the conflict will be like? dispute 12 zodiac? or their position in the family? I even wonder, can this make me emotional again, when I see something big that makes me touched just like previous series did?

Even the chapter release in japan is very slow, but I will keep monitoring its progress.

Aggregator gang
@goronyanpai

The conflict's probably going to be about Sawa's home life and the Sohmas' attempt to try and create a place where she can call her own.

In Fruits Basket, Tohru was the one helping everyone accept themselves. In Fruits Basket Another, I think it'll explore the effects of Tohru's actions into the new generation (as shown by the new Sohmas being much more friendly), and how the Sohmas are now a more functional family.

@Sarsak

Agreed. I see a lot of similarities with Takaya Natsuki's other series where the character deals with a lot of their own personal hang-ups. Perhaps from the perspective of Sawa, it seems like the Sohma family is like the shining white knights to pull herself out of a dark place but it really is about Sawa opening herself to new experiences and valuing her own self.

The story does a good job of not only explaining some of the origin of Sawa's issues but also showing some of the consequences of those bad experiences. It is still kind of early to hit those emotional notes now, but like in fruits basket, once we get her whole story and how she feels about it, it will be worth it. Similarily, Torhu's Arc in Fruits Basket came later in the series as well.

All these Sohma kids are directly related to the characters from original series too... even though they don't mention it. LOL.

Dex-chan lover
I want to try to chart who is who's offspring
Yuki+Machi= vice prez
Kyo+Touru=prez
Hatsuharu+rin= Sora and Riku
Yuki fangirl + ???=Sohma fangirl

Hana-sensei is Saki's younger brother

For some reason everyone knows the MC's name, so she must be somehow related to the Sohmas. Is she Akito's kid?

Haru and Rin named their kids Sora and Riku. *cough* Haru definitely plays Kingdom Hearts *cough*

All these Sohma kids are precious. Does anyone know where can I read the complete English scanlation? This one hasn't been updated for a year now.

It's not as charming as FuruBa but I would like to meet the other Sohma kids. I don't care much about the protagonist and the plot honestly. I also want to see if the original characters will be mentioned or shown.

Dex-chan lover
@kidyoudontknow
Probably hasn't been updated for that long (other than this random chapter 8 getting added even though it was done over a year ago lol) because Yen Press has the official English releases. First two volumes are out and third is scheduled to release end of October. I guess you can try your favorite site that hosts scans of official sources to try to find it.

I've a feeling that this isn't their first meeting, that the Sohmas are trying to work together to bring back Sawa's lost memories and work through her trauma. Not the exact same premise as FuruBa but at its heart it does feel thematically similar. Tohru helped the Sohmas and now they're passing on the favour.

Does anyone else find it creepy how all these high school girls married guys a decade older?

Dex-chan lover
@bobtoad1
I find it really creepy as well. I didn't think much of it when I was a kid, but now I think it's pretty irresponsible for the author to write a story aimed towards adolescent girls as an audience and not even address the dubious morality of high school girls dating dudes in their late 20s and older.

@Betony creepy to some but not all. A 10 year difference is not a crime. People's perspective different from each other. That is all

Aggregator gang
@Betony @Bobtoad1

The only one who married a dude way older is Arisa (And Tohru's mom). The real messed up relationship though is whatever was going on with Shigure and Akito

Dex-chan lover
@bahamut_blitz
Idk where you're from, but the relationship between Tohru's parents would have definitely been a crime in my country lol. Kyoko was only around 15 when she conceived Tohru, and in addition to being 8 years older than her, Katsuya was her teacher. I'm not going to pretend I'm as familiar with Japanese laws, but having read news stories about teachers getting fired over less, I think it's safe to assume their relationship would be considered taboo in Japan.

Of course, people are free to have their own opinions on the matter. I was just happy to let someone know that they weren't alone in feeling unsettled.

This series picked up again.?

Also about the gap age from the prequel series, thats is normal y'know. Both of them already and adult and 'legal'. Nowadays its not that 'creepy' to married someone with 10 years gap(have u ever read news.? So many artist married someone 10years or more younger from th). As long as you're not an old man in your 40 dating with 10-13 years old girl. ==
Thats what we call creepy.
This series's couple still at their 30/20. They are still normal. So, chill folks. Dont get too easily offended.

Chapter 9 is gone? it was here yesterday tho and i cant see it anymore. i postponed reading it for a day because i had stuff to do T_T

I got a link to a google drive folder that has all 3 volumes but im not sure if they are translated or not. Anyone let me know if they want the link
Just put an @ with my username

Users who are viewing this thread