New Reader: No option to ignore whitespace clicks

Currently, there's no way to allow clicking to move to the next page and disabling clicking for the white space around a page.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I don't think I'll be changing that behaviour, it's better than limiting the clicking area to the image only so that the mouse doesn't have to be covering the image. If I need to click on the window to make it active, I usually use either a middle click or else I click on the empty space in the sidebar.

Personally, I prefer if there's some whitespace that I can click without doing anything. Also I keep the sidebar closed since I prefer the manga page to be near the center of the monitor, so that limits my non-interactable clicking space.

It would be nice if I had the option to limit the clicking area.

Contributor
I don't think I understand—the white space around an image isn't clickable for me. (Which is good! Given the two options, anyway. It would be ever so slightly a pain if it were clickable; having a nice big dead zone somewhere on the screen can be nice, when you're scrolling with trackpad gestures (that might misfire once in a blue moon.))

I mean depending on my settings there might not be white space around an image. But when there is, it isn't clickable. Am I missing something?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@elecninja posted:

It would be nice if I had the option to limit the clicking area.
Alright, implemented as an option but with the entire container as the default value. Will be in the next update. I'm not 100% sure it will work perfectly in every browser, but I'll find that out eventually I guess lol.

Yeah Pokari, I suddenly got that behavior as well in the new reader as well. I think it has to do with switching between the legacy and new reader.

Thanks Teasday.

VIP
So I tried out the new reader again today (I've been using Legacy for a while now) and it took me a while to puzzle out what it was about the lack of unclickable whitespace around a page that bothered me so much.

Basically, I switch between windows a lot (sometimes I have multiple windows open side by side), so I usually click somewhere in the whitespace around the page to bring focus back to the browser window. And because of this ingrained habit, when using the new reader, I kept accidentally hitting the huge click area, which caused the next page to load, and I kept going, "aaaaaaaa, no, don't do that, I'm not done reading that yet!"

The sidebar or middle click were suggested as alternatives, but the sidebar is just so much tinier area-wise, and it's just slower clicking there (Fitts' law). And if I middle click, I have to click again to get rid of the multidirectional scroll cursor thingy that pops up. This all just contributes to making the reader feel more constrained and stressful.

It's great that there's an option to configure this, though: First, enable Display advanced settings, and then select Input settings > Tap/click target area > Images only. Phew, much better!

Though it'd be nice if I could set a light site theme where the container background is slightly darker, so that it's more obvious which areas are safe to click (the dark site themes don't have this problem). e.g. something like this:

201810012217_-_New_reader_with_grey_background.png

Users who are viewing this thread