Heterogeneous Linguistics - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Fed-Kun's army
Good god this series is comfy. Nonstop comfy chapters.
We need more comfy series like this.

Dex-chan lover
Learning some languages are hard like how some don't know lul in dutch means dick

Dex-chan lover
This fantasy world is ahead of us. Dolphins have a language and we still don't know how to even begin deciphering it

Dex-chan lover
God this is so interesting.

Let's ignore for the moment that lizardmen are my favorite fantasy race and are not used NEARLY enough in fantasy manga or books or whatever (not well at any rate) it's awesome seeing them so defined and thought out here.

But it's also super interesting at how this manga is examining language and looking at how creatures with other senses than ours would communicate and it's not simply doing a replacement cipher which is how fake languages are usually made in fantasy/sci fi. Like each word just means another word and you find and replace. This is really in depth and thinks of actual linguistics.

Double-page supporter
This series is really original. I like how it's not a paint by numbers battle manga, and monstrous races are depicted as friendly, but with vastly different cultures and communication methods, and the main barrier to engaging them is finding out how to talk and read and write.

I've got to be honest, I'm glad to see something like this, and I wish more artists and writers would take risks like this and do something actually new instead of recycling the same old tropes all the time.

Dex-chan lover
That was very clever of the author, he could have half assed it, but the fact that he used the tetrachromacy of lizards as a key feature to their color based language was genius, thus in theory bird people could also share this language too.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe Lizardmen have different thinking processes for 'writing' those 'letters'.

Double-page supporter
I can see this series ending with him getting stripped naked towards the end XD (By always wanting to give his thanks)

Dex-chan lover
This manga sure is interesting. Figuring out how to connect to languages is a really cool puzzle to solve too. I imagine it was hard enough to translate between languages that use different characters to represent sounds and words. This guy gotta connect colours, smells and many others.

I like how this manga discusses how each of the different species refer to themselves, and honestly I wish the mangaka spent more time on it.

A LOT of the names we gave to the Native American tribes here in North America are wrong. I believe that Navajo actually comes from a rival tribe called the Hopi, and means something along the lines of “Skull Smasher” or “Rock Smasher”. It was a derogatory term the Hopis used to insult the Navajo and somehow it became the official term for the Najavo tribe. The Navajo refer to themselves as “Din’ae” (spelling is likely off), which means “the people”.

Dex-chan lover
Synesthesia used for the bases of written language smart and deeply complex

Users who are viewing this thread