Ressentiment

Still great fun on a re-read. Makes one want to get into VR too (it's interesting to see the real-life parallels).

this is awful, the aet physically hurts to look at.

Dex-chan lover
Positively atrocious ending. I only wish I had read this before I Am A Hero, thus sparing me the disappointment of the broken expectations I had for its equally terrible ending.

This ugly bastard is realistic to a fault. He has many, many, MANY flaws, but we see him grow as a character little by little, egged on by his desire to be a better man for
his robo waifu.

Its a hard one to read, but it will allow you to think twice before you murder any ugly bastards in your head the moment you think of them. These people exist, and maybe you could be the one to help guide them to change. You may think its futile, but people aren't that complicated. Your faith could be all they need to fuel their drive to change for the better.

This is a story of someone who only got that someone way too late.
And the tragedy it amounts in.

Obviously rushed ending, love this story though and probably still one of my favorite protags

Hanazawa's MC's are so realistically shitty that normally they should make me despise them yet always grow on me. lol

d0v

After reading this and I Am a Hero, it's clear the author's MCs are self-inserts and the author hates himself, which is why his endings are terrible. An editor should have told him by now self-loathing isn't a replacement for a personality.

Both the premise and the characters were very unique to me, having ugly fat bastards as regular characters its not something you read everyday, the ending did feel rushed, with too many things happening at once, to go on a little more detail:

Things i didnt like
for being a manga that portrays escapism the way it does, as a coping mechanism for lonely pathetic ugly fat men with dead end jobs, it baffles me that the author came up with an scenario where a pretty woman takes a sudden interest into our disgusting protagonist, it feels like it betrays its message, expecting a pretty woman to come out of nowhere to fix your life is just as delusional as having a virtual reality girlfriend, that from all the routes the manga could have take to make takuro betray tsukiko the author went with the most unlikely one, it felt like he needed a reason to spark some conflict between tsukiko and the real world and couldnt think of anything better. And how convenient it was for the doctor to introduce a last minute way to save tsukiko.

Things i did like:
  1. the twist of ehaga not even being a fucking human was really unexpected
  2. even if forced i liked the fact that tsukiko lived
  3. the fact that almost all the regular characters are ugly fat bastards felt very unique to me, and not only the characters but the premise itself: the tale of fat ugly bastard getting himself a virtual a girlfriend
  4. that nagao and takuro didnt end up together felt realistic, why would she go back to a man that chose the unreal over her?
  5. that takuro ultimately ends alone and essentially the same as he was at the beginning of the story, to me this makes a point across: if you want things to change you need to put in the effort, if you want to be loved you must make the effort to connect with people, no one but you can secure your own hapiness

All in all, i liked it, i give it a 7 out of 10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread