Living in solitude

Hey, long time no see.
OK, my situation right now is: after a crazy year, I want to live in solitude for about a month, if possible in nature but not mandatory. I do live in Spain, which obviously reduces options, but since I am not registered in almost any other social internet space like this, I thought it was worth a try. In case it may help you, reading and writing would be my main occupations. WiFi, although maybe profitable, is not necessary by any means.
Even in the instance you don't live in my country, do you know of any cheap, realistic way of trying that? I know there are convents, and although I haven't looked it up yet, there may be some camps where you're left to your own. But I'd like to work through all the possibilities.
Thank you in advance. I am ashamed indeed of my poor English, and I apologize for it.

Dex-chan lover
Depending on your fiscal savings. Easiest would just to rent a small flat/cottage/unit 2hours from the cbd. Then just stock on a month of can food or call delivery (leave at the door style).

There are also holiday homes near nature reserves but they generally are for a group of friends/family so may cost significantly more.

If you are broke, being homeless is not enough to be in solitude. As you will need to survive on connections and may be ejected from any parks/squatting in abandoned houses.

Last but not least if you are morally broke(not recommended, you madman if you are actually considering the following); you can rob someone, get caught then don't post bail and get detention. During that time murder someone to get solitary confinement.

Apply to live in either Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific or Arranmore Island in Ireland, 2 of the many islands worldwide who are desperately trying to raise their population.

Pitcairn is supposed to be some sort of tropical paradise too remote for it's own good, and with less than 100 people there, you'd have your solitude. If I remember right they were so desperate to find people that they were offering plots of land for free...

You mentionned being from Spain, I remember that they also have a few islands with low population... Weren't those near the African coast or something???

Anyway, where I'm from, if I get in my car and manage to drive north for 3 hours, I'll be stuck in the middle of the woods with no one around for hundreds of kilometers. But then again, if snow starts falling, I'll be stuck there and freeze to death... Solitude can exert a heavy toll, lol.
Choose your alone-place carefully!

@Alraisen
Any survival skills?
If you have access to some plot of land in the woods(you could buy one if it's allowed in espania) just build your own saxon or viking style house.
Some additional pair of hands and tools would be needed. You could use dead wood. The hardest part would be ground works, it takes a lot of time and you see minimal progress.
You can find quite detailed way to do so on Youtube, just type "building saxon house" or "building viking house".
Access to fresh water and some way to get food will be advised.

Well, very creative answers everywhere. Thank you all-
@Teddy Of course, renting a house would be the easiest route, but probably the most expensive. I do have money, but feels like life is very long, and it may be too much nuisance for a mere month.
I have thought about going to jail before. Only thing is the method of entering, as I don't have any homicidal impulses in me, and can't seem to bring myself to create them. So for now, it's a no.
@Holo I can't drive. Yeah, I know I should learn.
@LowSanity Might look into it, thank you. Of course some physical tasks would be greatly appreciated, but maybe it's a tad too much.

Dex-chan lover
I wanna buy a good pair of unbreakable headphones and go with my phone and wifi and live alone without societal contact for a week or something.

Dex-chan lover
Um, do you have any family/friends nearby you could rent from? I know it's not exactly solitude if you're staying with them, but you could close yourself off in a room and only come out for meals when everyone else is asleep or something.

Explaining your reasoning might be a bit tricky, but this is a relatively easy way to get all your needs met with a minimum of human contact and hopefully family/friends would be understanding.

That's about all I got, short of staying in someone's guesthouse and requesting to be left alone the whole time. Not sure how you'd manage that.

In the end I got a house in the middle of a small town, the whole month for myself, at an incredible price. Thank you everyone for your help.

Dex-chan lover
Any chance to share your experience?
Pros and Cons. Success with your reading/writing job. (Novel, Thesis, Report or?)
Überraschungen that you didn't prepare for; good or bad.
Recommend or Stay Away?

@Teddy At least wait until I get there~
It'll be for the whole of March.
Granted, I'll post the results.

I came to deliver. But first, a bit of context.
In case anyone reads previous posts and wonders of my lateness, the "month" I was going to spend in the magical Spanish village I chose, became the *the three months* I lived all by myself, throughout March, April and most of May, thanks, oh thanks, to the Coronavirus, as buses stopped coming to that reduct. As you can see, I am an egotistical piece of shit, but there's no doubt I enjoyed all that time alone, and no use lying about it. Discounts in the rent abounded too, given my situation, thanks to the super amiable landlords who also gave me amazing free food and showed me the secrets of that little paradise, so it was win after win after win for me.
Now about the experience... I lived in a small cluster of streets, about 15 or 20 minutes from the actual village, which is to say, I was doubly isolated, with about three or four families I rarely had contact with. With a forest and a river, and a path to walk throught them. some mounds, and a small chapel with all the sky to myself, I saw the snow falling, the stars shining, heard the forests and grass whispering and the "chopo" tree seeds fall; and the trees and the flowers bloom. The world changed before my eyes in these three months, something my city ridden existence had kept me out of all my life.
Aaand I wrote. Holy shit I wrote a lot. The first 23rd days I read the books I had brought with myself, and tried to write some fiction, but kept on faltering, and never gave my all. Then when the autobiography started, any and all doubt vanished, and I kept writing and writing and writing any aspect of my life I could remember, unearthing all those little things that revealed all the big things, surprised, better yet, absolutely amazed at my findings. I discovered the concepts that have been unknowingly guiding my subconscious for the most part of my life, and of course stuff about anime and Japan abounded (the two days I spent on Japan are two of the happiest I can recall).
When the fucking project started, I gave it about a month... 200 pages, 250 at most... but I still had a lot to go when April the 23rd came round, with about 300. The quarantine kept on being extended, which gave me time to finish the book, but there were few things to do, and too much time. However, the benefits were clear: I actually freaking learnt to think then. I am pretty sure I didn't know how to before all this.
I ended up giving myself a rest on the 20th of May, after 400 pages. I gave long walks in the forest, tried to catch a shooting star and failed, wrote some thoughts, read a book about alchemy I had discovered. I came back on the 25th of May.
I've discovered a few side effects since then: the arrogance, for starters, when for so many days I did not have anyone to put me in my place -real life hasn't hesitated in putting me in my place. Then, perhaps interestingly for anyone who may be planning something similar, I found after my comeback that I had forgot a lot about how to feel intense feelings. Kind of fell into a creative numbness over there, which doesn't seem to regain its previous power now. A kind of tragic sentimentalism pervaded for the first days, but always elusive, never finding a way to make it more concrete... then it wore off and now I've lost most of the intensity, and am trying not to fall into the pit of procrastination and shit. That's been the last surprise: since the moment I stepped out of the train station, the city has been weighing on my head, something as if a cement block broke down on me and made my thoughts come out of my ears like green liquid.
Was it worth it? Undoubtedly, yes. Another note in a life that I don't have the slightest idea of how to live.
Many more things to tell. So many. But not the place. For anyone thinking about something like this, this should be enough.
tl;dr: Then don't read.

Dex-chan lover
Sounds nice. I wish I had the courage to do the same.

Also a 400 pages autobiography?
I am highly interested, do you plan to publish it?

Dex-chan lover
Imma late

Sounds like a cool experience.

Could I write an autobio about my life and let it go 400 pages probably not. Most people have an edgy /arrogant persona online. I try to have a positive vibe online to evangelize and show the internet community not every Christian is as portrayed by main stream media. But if I had to write about myself for myself: Day 1 depreciating jokes. Days 2 embarrassing moments. Day 3 give up

Users who are viewing this thread