Author MD USA Meetup 2: Electric Boogaloo
Zephyrus OP
Forum Moderator
As everyone recalls, earlier this year I attempted to organize an MD meetup. It didn't go well for various reasons.

This time, I have decided that we will plan *much* farther out and more sensibly than just slapping a poll up and hoping for the best.

The first step will be to choose a convention. I realize that the choices aren't that great for those of us who live several states away but I am confident that the locations chosen are within reason for most of us in central/east coast area. Sorry Midwesterners and West Coasters. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from holding a meetup of your own, but I won't be able to attend them.

The choices are (in chronological order) :

ACEN
Chicago, Illinois
May 15-17

ColossalCon
Sandusky, Ohio
May 30-June 2, 2020

DragonCon
Atlanta, Georgia
September 4-7, 2020

Cincinnati Comic Expo
Cincinnati, Ohio
[DATE TO BE DETERMINED]

AWA
Atlanta, Georgia
[DATE TO BE DETERMINED]

These are the conventions I am 99.9% sure I can make. They also are far enough out that attendees will have plenty of time to plan and budget if they should so wish.

Once we have chosen a place, then we can begin focusing on other stuff such as possible age-appropriate events (Who wants to bar crawl with me!?), sit down meals, assisting with finding roomies, etc., etc.

If the organization is too much for me, I will ask interested parties to help me organize.

Please cast your vote here: https://linkto.run/p/QY6MF2B6

Note - I will be using the new thread pinned in General to act as our main communication thread: https://mangadex.org/thread/171082 (ignore the old poll)

Feel free to post thoughts and suggestions below. We're gonna do it this time, guys!
Any chance you could make a convention closer to the west coast?
I live in the land of maple syrup and french people(east Canada ) these choices are a bit too far away therefore I can't attend.
Do Georgia and Ohio give handjobs to just anyone or is there a secret handshake?
Zephyrus OP
Forum Moderator
@weaboo
Sorry dude, I can't afford to travel out that way. But feel free to arrange something! Nothing stopping you. =)

@Polycell
I'm located in Kentucky so these are states with big cons that I can reasonably get to within an 8 hour or so drive. That's as far as I'm willing to drive. No conspiracy behind it. :v
so you're just gonna ignore that there are countries outside of the US?^^
like i get that a mainland E.U. meetup isn't gonna happen but to just not mention it is honestly funny.
edit: oh, and i hope that the meetup will go well, i'd love to see the community grow more and more tight-knit.
That face when us foks in the EU get nothing... ;_;

You lot enjoy yourselves!
This is honestly great! (No sarcasm.) I hope it'll be a success, so that you'll be happy to organise more later on. I live outside the US, and if it becomes a recurring thing then I may be able to attend someday.

Others have suggested livestreaming. Maybe even compiled footage. If it's not problematic, it would be fun to watch.
Zephyrus OP
Forum Moderator
@pip3
@MonsieurQuack
Unfortunately I don't have any control over EU meetups. I am more than happy to help coordinate one though!
Im coming for you zephy
Sadly nothing on the West Coast.
ACEN is a good all-around con that is fan-oriented, has lots of fan-run panels (over 200 a year) and a nice vidya room, etc.
ColossalCon I haven't attended, but the side perk to that could be going over to CedarPoint for those that like rollercoasters.
AWA I know is the biggest con in the US for anime music videos, as I was involved in that scene for awhile, but I don't know much else.
You might see me at the 2020 Dragoncon. Reminds me that I need to get tickets asap.
It always kind of miffs me when the first choice for any such "online meetup", be it anime merchandising or just a forum meet up is overseas, but whatever. You guys have fun.

Signed, Yurop.
>organizer states that he is limited by distance from where he lives to conventions that happen near him.
>everyone else in the thread complains that the meet up isn't happening near them.
Amazing. Why not buy a plane ticket for the organizer or organize a meet up yourselves, you lazy bums?
@QSS plane tickets aren't affordable these days with the price of subterranean rent 😅
I think the point is, folks are welcome to arrange a meetup closer to them. u gotta do the organizing & planning urself, though... actually Zephyrus even offered to help coordinate one if you want, didn't he?
Last edited 2 mo ago by dokkotak.
Atlanta's Dragon Con is closest to me, but I could make Cincinnati also. Either is a good road trip on my motorcycle. I went to this year's Dragon Con and had a ton of fun. It helps that I was able to stay with my brother who lives in Atlanta.
@Zephyrus distance concerns aside, are there any perks for one particular place over another?
This would be really fun! But as I live in one of those Nordic countries in Europe and don't really go out of country much, I won't attend.
Would be awesome, as someone already said, to get some video coverage of the gathering though! =D
Have fun people!