Adding a Spoiler Tag for certain genre tags :rejected:

jak

Contributor
Sometimes a certain theme/genre is technically a spoiler for the manga. Anyway to add another section for spoiler genre/theme?

I'm really surprised no-one replied to this yet.
I actually see the usefulness of it, as I was recently spoilered by a theme, but frankly, I think it's too much of a hassle to implement for the handful of mangas that would be affected.

Dex-chan lover
For the most part, if a genre tag is specific enough to actually spoil you as to a specific event, chances are very good that official promotional material for the manga itself would also spoil something like that.

I've definitely seen somewhere that sfi tag that kinda make the plot twist realy obvious... *the Time Travel gang*

@Vofuro,

I'm interested in what way the tag spoiled you as I don't think the tags, as they are now, are specific enough to fully spoil a development.

This is also why I don't really feel the need for spoiler warnings for tags; even if a tag would spoil a certain element of the story, it says nothing about the who, what, when, or how of the event.

Say, for example, that something like a Horror tag for a title that otherwise is perceived as cutesy comedy title would give away the game a little. that alone wouldn't give anything away about when this shift will take place, why it takes place, or in what way to still be plenty suspenseful. It might even add to the suspense, by making you expect things to go sideways at any moment.

Maybe it's because my personal enjoyment isn't affected too much by advance knowledge, but I find the current tag system to be too broad to say anything more about a title's specific content, besides generic genre. Especially if that means expending the effort to programming this that is better spent on something with a more larger use-case.

Since I had some time over (it's past 4 am) I decided to make a small userscript that implements this feature client-side.

You can find it here (plug plug) or, to directly install it click here.

Will probably submit this to some of the usual userscript collection sites at a later date as well.

@MadeOfMagicAndWires
This one: https://mangadex.org/title/40969/yofukashi-no-uta
It killed the suspense of the first chapter, that vamp tag... XD So yeah, almost never happens, but very rarely a tag can and will spoil you.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
If it's something that "spoils" the very premise of the story, I don't think it's worthy of being called a spoiler.

Dex-chan lover
The only three examples I can think off that are actually plausible are a sci-fi story with a time travel plot twist; a character turning out to be another creature such as a vampire; or maybe someone is actually gay.

Assassin's Pride also has a vampire tag which is like a spoiler to chapter 10+ or something, I've put that series on hold and the only reason I know why there's a vampire is cause of the tags, I haven't even gotten that far into the story.

Sarazanmai is also another one where one of the character turns out to be
gay
, granted, the plot twist was used for the comedy rather than the plot but wouldn't this still warrant a tag? (If the manga does get scanlated and not dead in the beginning like it is now)

Is this really not that niche of a subject to warrant attention?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
There's going to be issues anyway if the tag spoilering is handled on a tag-per-manga basis, and not just because of the additional database complexity. Just the fact that a tag is spoilered is already a kind of a spoiler in and of itself, since it lets you know to expect some kind of a genre shift twist - at least with an unspoilered tag you might have missed it. It would also affect the search, even if in the UI it's just by adding an extra setting for including/excluding spoilered tags.

I'm just going to mark this as rejected since I can't really think of a good justification for it.

How about having users be able to hide certain tags by default. Similar to the exclude tag option, but you don't hide the manga's but only the tags.

A good example of why someone would want this is the Tragedy tag. I love tragedy's and its effect is usually best when it's a surprise, and seeing the tragedy tag beforehand kills the surprise.
When you read the tragedy tag upon starting a manga, you already start calculating what might happen, when, where, and to whom.

Users who are viewing this thread