Inubaka - Vol. 16 Ch. 169 - Serina's a New Mom

Fed-Kun's army
Wait, what? For the wife to call the husband 'honey' should be pretty normal for English speaking people right? Or at least people from US. Also, for other countries/languages, it's normal to have another pronoun for both the husband and wife.

Group Leader
Well, yeah what I mean is "husband-chan" is the literal translation, but that doesn't sound right to the English ear. Normally in other manga I typically see couples referring to one another by their first names, but if it weren't for that entry sign on their door we wouldn't even know what the husband's name is.
That's why I went with honey, since I assume affixing -chan to "husband" is supposed to make it sound cutesy.

Like, imo, it's a different feel to call your SO "babe" than "honey" or "hubby". Honey has the cutesier feel, which is why I wouldn't want to translate "husband-chan" as babe. Again, this is also taking consideration of her other verbal quirks that are untranslatable directly. For example, she speaks in hiragana where other characters would use kanji. Like the word "puppy". When Teppei uses the word in this chapter, it's written in kanji "子犬". Whenever Serina does, it's in hiragana "こいぬ". Again, I'm not the most experienced so I'm not entirely sure what that signifies, if anything, but my assumption is that it's written like that to showcase how childish she is in her speaking. (Suguri also sometimes does this too, which furthers my suspicion.) Another thing both Suguri and Serina do is use "Atashi" rather than "Watashi", which my Japanese teacher in college told us that women who use "atashi" are typically trying to sound cutesy/flirty. This is because young children who are still learning how to speak, will say "atashi" because they haven't yet quite grasped how to make the "wa" sound yet, hence again, my assumption that Serina uses baby talk/talks in a childish manner. You'll also see in the next chapter she calls Suguri "Suguri-tan", to which even Suguri is like "what? -Tan?" -Tan isnt a real honorific, it's a bastardization of "-chan", again, used by children who are still learning how to speak properly.

Users who are viewing this thread