Welcome to the site! (MangaRock refugee thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a Reindeer
VIP
Many of you may already know the news, some of you may not. MangaRock is shutting down and lots of users are looking for a new place to read manga. To all the new people who are coming from MangaRock as well as users from other websites, here's a quick starter guide on what MangaDex is and how to use it.

1. Is MangaDex an official source of manga?
No, we're an unofficial manga aggregator. Our content is translated by fans, such as yourselves, and uploaded to the site. We generally don't host any official translations, just fan scanlations.

2. Does MangaDex make a profit?
MangaDex is an ad-free site that sustains itself entirely on user donations. All money goes entirely towards server costs, nothing else. You can find additional information on our server costs on our support page.

3. Does MangaDex have more content than other aggregators?
MangaDex is pro-scanlator. This means that while scan groups are free to upload their content to their site, they are also free to remove it. For this reason, you may not find certain series if the group has chosen to not upload to the site. Other aggregators have no qualms about the source of their content and there is no way to remove your content from other aggregators. We don't allow official translations, except when we receive explicit permission from the author or when the company has lost its license to a series, meaning that they can no longer receive any benefit from the series.

4. Does MangaDex have an app?
No, but the reader works fine if not better on mobile.

5. How do I change which languages of chapters I see? I can only read English.
Never fear, Bocchi is here. You can find out how to use our site with our tutorial manga, Bocchi-sensei! Teach me MangaDex! (which has no official relation to Bocchi, we're just the scanlation group for the series.) Strongly recommend that you read through all the chapters since MangaDex has more features than an average aggregator.

6. How do I get my manga to be vertical? I really like scrolling on my phone.
You can find a ton of reader customization options by clicking the settings cog in the reader. There's single page, double page, and long strip. The vertical setting would be long strip. For people who like reading manga double paged, you can also change the reading direction so that it properly follows Japanese reading direction.

If you're curious about our rules, can find them here: https://mangadex.org/rules Essentially just a long way of saying to not get into fights.

And if you ever wanna chat with us or ask us any questions, every single one of our staff members are available to shitpost. Available on Discord, Twitter or our forums.

Holo edit: Please note that if you signed up recently and did not receive an email with an activation code, you can try resending before emailing anidex.moe@gmail.com for a code. The email servers went into meltdown earlier from the surge of sign ups from ex-MR users.

Well welcome to everyone ! Hope you will find your happiness on mangadex.

eheheh this site is very nice :) gotta hurry to put my favs
I might die in the process
:')

045915de0ee073be241be060e5774533b34218a9_hq.gif

Well well well, look who finally move to MangaDex

63-639878_smug-anime-girl-transparent.png

Anyway, welcome. Hope you find MD to be better than MR

Dex-chan lover
Just migrated over from Mangarock. I've been going with the flow since 06 when Mangafox went stupid. Then Bato got bought out and it became mostly korean smut. I was concerned that I wouldn't find another one with a decent search feature but you guys came through so looks like this grizzled old man will just take up residence till it's time to move on again.

__gambier_bay_kantai_collection_drawn_by_spica1476__22684451c745147bb8322b09ade94792.jpg

Thanks for having me.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Accelerator48 It is unlikely we'll make an app, maybe a progressive web app instead. Having an app on the app store, such as what MangaRock did, is a recipe for disaster.

Another refugee here! I've been using both Manga Rock and MangaDex for a while, so the transition will be pretty seamless. The Manga Rock interface felt a bit more polished but this site is perfectly usable so I ain't mad. I'm only going to miss the notifications that I got from Manga Rock, but hopefully RSS will work well enough for me (I've never tried using RSS before).

I’ve had an account for a bit now, but I’ve always been using MR so I might as well take this chance to say hello here! Btw, is there any chance that MD can implement a “Recommendations” feature directly on each manga’s page?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Garlic bread is love. Garlic bread is life.

Dex-chan lover
I am much more concerned so called MR going legit by stealing scanlators works and making it their own translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread