Tensei Shite Inaka de Slowlife wo Okuritai - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - The Overly Composed 4-Year Old

I didn't think I'd be seeing this one again. I'm glad to see it's back.

Group Leader
Mm... I can't suspend my belief that much. None of the sons in this manga act their age, but everyone is okay with this. Uggh.

Double-page supporter
what? Why did he talk about that man's wife's butt? And how it that supposed to be calm and composed?

Dex-chan lover
what? the royal capital taxes its vassal's territories? i'm surprised none of the vassals stabbed the king in the back yet.

or are the lords basically just governors who inherit their position? the translation literally uses the term "feudal lord's son". this setting is weird.

@jonsmth thats pretty normal in a feudal society. Very simplified : Citizens pay tax to baron, baron pays taxes to duke, duke pays taxes to king. If no middleman present(like baron directly under king) they pay taxes to the crown. And yes you could describe a baron/duke etc. as kind of a governor. The king can not controll all the land in a centrilized manner. So he gives huge parts of lands to a bunch of people in excance for taxes and manpower/soldiers. They can not controll all that land. so they also give parts of the land to a bunch of people in excance for taxes and manpower. And so forth untill the landowner becomes a farmer who pays a part of his harvest as tax. And those positions are normaly inherited to the children of the lord or if there are none to a family member.

@metaldog564 yeah I too always found it weird untill I had to live for a month without bread. My meals never felt like they were a "proper" meal.

@timesen It’s weird how you think you’d be fine without things till it happens. I moved to an area with bread and potatoes served as sides instead of rice (I’m asian so I grew up with rice 1-2 times per day) and it made daily meals feel unbelievably weird almost as if, like you said, they weren’t proper meals. I had a day where I ate just under 4 cups of rice (regular meal for normal person I think would be 1-1.5) in one meal because it was the first time I had it in just over a month. As hard as it may seem for others to comprehend it it’s a unbelievably weird sensation (kind of like drinking a different soda rather than your favorite, like a “this isn’t quite right” feeling).

In the WN, I think the direct translation "distracted by wife's butt" was localized to "henpecked by your wife."

Dex-chan lover
@timesen
I always supposed that the agreement between lords is that the vassal would help fight his liege's wars in exchange for being given fiefs. Lords come with soldiers and connections, and sometimes even their own land, which are very much more valuable than having them pay tax. Sometimes, a vassal can be just as powerful as the king himself, and imposing tax on them is impossible. Even then, a disgruntled lord can be more a threat to the realm than a foreign invader is. If all the king wants is to fill his coffers, he could just keep the fiefs to himself! Managing lands? Leave that to the lieutenants, ministers, and magistrates! Lords can employ such people without giving them any power.

But I suppose this is the type of kingdom where the king has enough power to impose taxes like this. Historical kingdoms are no stranger to enforcing some arbitrary taxes. As long as the lords would and could agree to it, the king can tax them any which way he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread