5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 5 Ch. 41 - Seven Goodbyes ③

Group Leader
My guess is Yotsuba or Ichika, one of them wearing a wig. Yotsuba being the main culprit, Ichika because she could pull this off with just acting.

Fed-Kun's army
Not a pettanko; most likely just not wearing a bra. And these clothes do nothing to emphasize the curve of her chest—they're actually masking it. I'm not even taking into account the means of actually making the chest flatter, e.g. sport bras.

Double-page supporter
On page 7 when Itsuki says, "Today's full moon is really pretty, don't you think?" and then he had kind of a stunned expression, then tells her she needs to study more, is something that doesn't translate too well without context. Basically, without realizing it, she told Futarou that she loves him.

Because the Japanese traditionally shied away from direct declarations of love, (and because Japanese in general is often indirect) they would use poetic language to say how they felt.

One of the ways the Japanese would say "I love you" is with the phrase "The moon is beautiful, isn't it?" to their love interest, under a moonlit sky. It would be common in a love letter (for example, see Violet Evergarden, the episode where she helps a princess write letters to a prince) to, rather than declare one's feelings directly, to work in allusions to flowers and the moon.

Futarou immediately understands what that phrase means, thus the shocked expression. But Itsuki is really bad at Japanese, so she didn't understand that she just told him "I love you".

It would have been nice to see a translator's note on this page, because this kind of thing is pretty easy to lose in translation, and I think is a really important moment for the chapter. But now you know! I am sure that Futarou's heart skipped a few beats at that moment, and even if Itsuki didn't understand what she said to him, it might have left an impact. I also wonder if at some point she'll come across this knowledge in her studies, and then realize what she told him that night.

Fed-Kun's army
@LysandersTreason To be fair, the phrase doesn't expressly mean "I love you", but it could be used that way (it's considered archaic, though). In other words, Itsuki made a double entendre, and she would've known it had she been studying more diligently, which was what Fuutarou reprimanded her for. I do agree a TL note is warranted here.

Dex-chan lover
It's the mom, right? Same hairstyle as in the panel of the sisters and mother grouped together.

Gosh, even if I'm desperate for money, I would never bother with "customers" like these. After seeing my own GF grows out of that teen girl phase that needs to be babysit at every turn, I really relate to this MC, but I will never go back there again.

Like the story, but kinda hate some of the girls right now.

If it's not a wig, this is Nino. She's the only one out of the 5 that has hair long enough, and you can't see her bangs.

Double-page supporter
@Shewy92

The other thing about these two phrases is that "like" and "moon" sound very similar, too.

suki (好 - like)

tsuki (月 - moon)

And, you know how anime and manga love their misunderstandings. Having a deaf person try to say I like you underneath a moonlit sky is a total softball pitch.

I see everyone's already written about the moon is beautiful thing. My addendum is that according to legend, the famous Japanese author Natsume Soseki was the one who created this dual meaning. One of his pupils translated "I love you." into "Ware kimi o aisu". Natsume told them it was too literal, and that Japanese culture is very roundabout, so he told them to translate it to "The moon is beautiful." That's how the story goes but I'm not sure if it's true or not to be honest.

Back to the main point, that's what Fuu was talking about. That she should read more classic novels, and by extension, learn from the lives of their authors. Since this is a famous story, it seems like Itsuki doesn't read many of Natsume's books, if at all...

Dex-chan lover
The quintuplets' mother fell sick and had to be hospitalized, then remarried...
...There was a faceless man that Fuutarou met in the hospital (that was in a private room with the best care) that he swore he met somewhere before.
Doctors, especially hospital directors, can be very wealthy...
...Hmm...

Best love antispam reaction I've ever seen.
x6.png

A possible sixth sister because at chapter 32 [ the chapter where Fuutarou is sick and the quintuplets are holding his fingers. ] a flash forward scene of the wedding showed that there were 11 wedding dresses hung. The bride shown at the chapter wore a wedding dress so that makes 12 total wedding dresses.

A bride NORMALLY only changes her dress once. Multiple dress-changes are unheard of but yet again, I don't think the bride shown to us will change 11 times.

So a total of 12 dresses... so 2 for each "quintuplet?"

However, I am highly against this. I do not really think that there's 6 of them.

I think Fuutarou might be hallucinating or imagining the girl. That's what I think but from the data I have, I could easily be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread