demographic drop down in search

Dex-chan lover
Last night I tried searching for a specific manga via certain selecting genres yet I kept getting little to no results because of the demographic defaults to shounen with no option to select all demo/ignore demo.

If I go to a manga page and click on the genre, it will search and find all of the genre regardless of demographic. Why has demographic as a drop down if it hinders searching. If I want to search a specific genre I have to change that drop down 4 times via the drop down. The workaround only works for selecting one genre.

Anyways I suggest either adding an all demographic option in the drop down or remove it since you can specify which demographic in the genre check boxes.

@xenos Hi, there! Would you be able to give example search parameters to try out or the steps to replicate your issue?

I tried out advanced search and don't seem to have the problem where demographic defaults to shounen.

Example:
Access Advanced Search

A. Using keyword "dragon" in Manga Title + Tag "Adventure" selected + Original Language "All Languages" + Demographic "All demographic" (default for me)
--> gave me results with various demographics.

B. Using keyword "dragon" in Manga Title + Tag "Adventure" selected + Original Language "All Languages" + Demographic "Shoujo"
--> gave me results with Shoujo demographic

C. Using no keyword in Manga Title + Tag "Adventure" selected + Tag "Historical" + Original Language "All Languages" + Demographic "All demographic" (default for me)
--> gave me results with various demographics.

edit: formatting for easier reading

Dex-chan lover
@Noms go manga -> search then select a demographic other than all demo. It won't let me select all demo. When you search it will default to shounen because all demographic won't be there. I'm on mobile. Probably a bug but what I'm suggesting is that the drop down is kinda redundant when there's check boxes but I get it if you want to search multiple demos at once, so either that or remove demographics from genre check boxes

Hmm, I can't test on mobile, but you might've also found a bug! Since it works for me on desktop, have you ever tried it on desktop? If you're on Discord, try chatting up support about that to see if they have any ideas.

Yeah, the demographics checkboxes and dropdown is a little strange right now. The Edit Manga and Advanced Search seem to share the same layout. With the new demographic section in Edit Manga, the checkboxes are redundant because we have to use the dropdown; however, for Advanced Search the demographic checkboxes would be more useful (as you mentioned). The dropdown currently allows selction of only 1 option (so you can either search for all or 1 demographic) while checkboxes allow searches such as josei + seinen.

Users who are viewing this thread