Kurozuka

Dex-chan lover
Oh hey, I'd been looking for this. Gotta hate when you lose track of things for whatever reason, and then the characters kind of vaguely surface in your head but you can't put a name to all of it.

Contributor
Lots of detailed sex and detailed gore. Just too gross. Can't finish it.

Aggregator gang
Alas, another manga that stumbles at the finish line.

I loved the premise and the world(s) built in this series. The central mystery / mysteries were immediately engaging and presented with the right amount of... well... mystery. The different situations and time periods felt compelling and intriguing. I wanted to get immersed in this manga, and I did. This all was helped along by plenty of sexy visuals and more than a little gore (though by far not as indulgently gory as some series). The series is also populated by a cast of interesting, relatively nuanced, relatively fleshed out, characters.

The first 10-20 chapters (25-50% of the series) were great. Pacing felt just about perfect. Everything was set-up with just the enough information to make one curious, but plenty of mystery remaining.

From somewhere around chapter 20, through somewhere around chapter 30 though, it felt like the author did not know how to manage the pacing so well. Even though there was still significant action (more than the first half of the series in fact) it felt like it did not matter as much. At times it seemed like there were wasted scenes / filler, and too much dialogue that did not really do much to deepen the characters, while at other times it felt like the story leapt ahead.

Finally, the final stretch of ~10 chapters (roughly 30-40) felt like an increasing mess. I do give the author props for not completely losing the narrative. Characters seemed to remain fairly consistent (with perhaps one or two minor exceptions) and there was no moralizing at odds with the story by any of them (or by a narrator).

However, the pace of everything took a massive jump at the very end. A couple minor characters were barely introduced, seemed like they might at least have minor roles to play, but never were addressed again. Lots of exposition dumps. A number of fights felt rushed and lacked impact. They were moments that the author seemed to just need to get out of the way. They were not altogether bad, but did not feel as meaningful as they should have.
Especially with a few characters inexplicably coming back / surviving at the end... only for one of those characters to just die again moments later.

While a good bit of the central mystery was revealed by the end, some minor points were left unclarified, and there were even some wrinkles added at the end. A good bit was left unresolved, or at best up to the reader's speculation. In the end, the ending felt like a cliff-hanger.

For the first 1/4 - 1/2 I was imagining giving this manga a 10/10. Then started to think it would probably be more like 9/10, but still was very pleased with it. By the end I am torn between an 8 and a 9, and feel like I am probably being a bit generous owing to a really great premise, and characters I appreciated much more than the typical ones you find in manga.

A great manga. I found the manga to tell an epic story, considering the time covered and the effect on the characters.

I'm really surprised about the low rating..

the story starts at this random place and it switches like times so many times its literally impossible to follow whats going on

Users who are viewing this thread